Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS wont start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

screach

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
Hello all...having some problems after a server re-boot with RRAS.

I Have 2 servers with Win2k SP3 installed (and both are part of AD)and replicate DNS. The primary server acts as our RRAS server and the secondary server acts soley as an exchange server with back up for AD and DNS.

Problem with RRAS - had to reboot both machines yesterday - when they finished rebooting the
RRAS service cannot be started no matter
how many reboots or disabling RRAS amd re-enabling it using the wizard or manual setup.

Get the following messages in Event Viewer:

The currently configured accounting provider failed to load and initialize
successfully. The authentication server did not respond to authentication
requests in a timely fashion.

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error

Screach.....the sound of your world coming to an end at the sight of the dreaded BSOD!

Yeah I found those articles, but its not the shut down problem I am concerned with. Its the inability to start the service even from a cold boot.

I have researched Microsofts site as well as the Event ID and Google newsgroups to no avail.

It appears something is stopping the RRAS service from initializing in the beginning.

Screach.....the sound of your world coming to an end at the sight of the dreaded BSOD!

bumping due to desperation.....may the forum police see mercy.

:)

Ok got the service start issue fixed. Ended up re-attaching the service to the domain in Active Directory and that allowed the service to start. Now I am unable to connect from the outside as I get:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20073
Date: 5/21/2003
Time: 8:08:06 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
Description:
The following error occurred in the Point to Point Protocol module on port: VPN3-4, UserName: SHAMAR\jreach. The authentication server did not respond to authentication requests in a timely fashion.
Data:
0000: a2 03 00 00 ¢...

Where I think the problem lies is that my sinlge NIC is showing up as Dedicated...not sure but from memory I dont think it showed up as dedicated. I remember reading that if one used VPN Wizard to set up the VPN that it would dedicate your NIC and stop authentication. Just not quite sure how to un-dedicate this nic.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt,

Thanks for your replys I have tried several times to reconfigure/re-enable RRAS with no luck. Below is a message which I posted on Microsofts site....its a little bit more detailed. If you have any further ideas I am open to anything.

Hello All:

I have been to just about every site I know and popping in and thought you all might have some ideas.

2 server network both win2k sp3. Primary server runs DNS, AD, and Secondary server runs Exchange and is a back up on DNS and AD.

First, here is the server side error I am getting, the client side is the typical ERROR 930...then will post some details below.

Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event ID: 20073
Date: 5/22/2003
Time: 8:00:49 AM
Description:
The following error occurred in the Point to Point Protocol module on port: VPN3-4, UserName: SHAMAR\jreach. The authentication server did not respond to authentication requests in a timely fashion.
Data:
0000: a2 03 00 00 ¢...

1. Checked with eventid.net - article posted did not help as I am not using IAS. But I went ahead with the instructions to give it a go....no luck.

2. I went to Microsoft and searched all the 930 (client side error we are getting) and 20073 with no match for what I am dealing with...none the less tried a few of their recommendations like re registering the dlls etc.. again no luck.

3. I disabled RRAS and Re-Enabled RRAS several times hoping that would be the fix....no luck.

4. Since it was an authentication issue I tried changing protocols .... again no luck.

5. Only other error I am getting is a DNS warning: Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DNS
Event ID: 5504
Date: 5/21/2003
Time: 8:57:27 PM
Description:
The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from 216.171.129.13. The packet is rejected.

This all started when I had to reboot the server after an accounting software database upgrade. After the re-boot I got errors with my DNS and WINS

Event Source: DNS
Event ID: 7063
Date: 5/20/2003
Time: 12:47:44 AM
Description:
The DNS server is configured to forward to a non-recursive DNS server at 211.152.33.6.

DNS servers in forwarders list MUST be configured to process recursive queries.
Either
1) fix the forwarder (211.152.33.6) to allow recursion
- connect to it with DNS Manager
- bring up server properties
- open "Advanced" tab
- uncheck "Disable Recursion"
- click OK
OR
2) remove this forwarder from this servers forwarders list
- DNS Manager
- bring up server properties
- open "Forwarders" tab
- remove (211.152.33.6) from list of forwarders
- click OK
(note Cannot post WINS error as it was deleted from log).

Fixed the DNS error by adding two new IP addresses which where also being used by my exchange server. The wins error was fixed when I noticed that the Primary server only listed the exchange server for its replication partner. The exchange server listed both the primary server and itself as a replication partner so I added the primary to itself as a replication partner. No more errors with DNS and WINS except for the dns warning listed above.

I currently have the following network protocols installed on the primary server

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing
Network monitor Driver
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

This system worked fine until the re-boot now VPN wont work at all...any help is greatly appreciated.

I think the problem is in your configuration. If I was in your shoe, I will start from RAS101 and make sure I have completed each step properly before moving ahead. I will stay away from the wizard, and check AD to make sure that this computer is a member of IAS and RAS. I will create a new RAS policy and make sure that protocols, authentication, permission, the right vpn groups are selected from AD.I will check DHCP to make sure that addresses are been allocated for the RAS server. Make sure each step is functioning properly before moving ahead.

MCSE 2000
Computer Engineering Technology

Ok reset everything up....below is the dump from the IASSAM.LOG file.

[3284] 13:42:11:984: NT-SAM Names handler received request with user identity SHAMAR\jreach.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: Username is already an NT4 account name.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: SAM-Account-Name is "SHAMAR\jreach".
[3284] 13:42:11:984: NT-SAM Authentication handler received request for SHAMAR\jreach.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: Processing MS-CHAP v2 authentication.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: LogonUser succeeded.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: NT-SAM User Authorization handler received request for SHAMAR\jreach.
[3284] 13:42:11:984: Using downlevel dial-in parameters.
[3284] 13:42:12:000: Opening LDAP connection to server.[3284] 13:42:12:000: LDAP connect succeeded.
[3284] 13:42:12:000: Sending LDAP search to [3284] 13:42:12:000: Inserting attribute msNPAllowDialin.
[3284] 13:42:12:000: Successfully retrieved per-user attributes.

based on this it tells me I am connected? why then do I get the error 930 client side and 20073 server side. I got to be missing something...been starring at this problem too long. Any further ideas?

SOLVED

Unchecked remote access logging and connected first try.

Turns out the Remote Access Log file was corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back