Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS on Windows 2000 Server and VPN access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasmania

MIS
Feb 6, 2002
US
I decided to use the built in W2K VPN solution. All the instructions I can find a vague. My first question is Is the RRAS server supposed to have two NICs? Is the only way to connect to the RRAS/VPN server by dialing up to the internet with a modem? Can't you use a cable modem connection or DSL connection and connect via IP? Please help!!!

Thanks,

Yas

I don't know for sure if the VPN server must have 2 NICs, but mine does and it works fine. And no, you can connect thru cable modem, DSL, dial-up or whatever. As long as you are on the net.. Post with the exact probs your are experiencing.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Well I guess my first problem is that my server only has one nic. I'll install a second but I don't think I can connect it directly to the net. I have a firewall (linksys dsl router/firewall).

That will work ok. Mine is connected to a router as well. We have a public IP to connect to, do you? There is a service you can obtain if not.. I've heard this works well for dynamic IPs. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

The firewall has a public IP and I opened the ports that the instructions said to. I can only give the 2nd NIC an internal address because it's on this side of the firewall. I think I'm more confused =/

It sounds like you are doing it right.. "I can only give the 2nd NIC an internal address because it's on this side of the firewall" What do you mean by "this side of the firewall"? You should have the traffic passing thru to the LAN NIC, the one connected to the network.. When you try and connect what happens? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I use W2K VPN. The server has only one NIC and sits behind the firewall. The firewall NATs the VPN server to a public address and allows encrypted trafic through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back