Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS & DHCP on W2K, but cant connect to internet with clients!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rulbano

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
US
Hi there -

I'm your ordinary tekkie who's in a bind, and its driving me crazy. Here's the scenario: s-)

I have 5 W2K Pro Clients running on W2K server. I've setup my server to act as my router, dns, and dhcp in order for my clients to connect to the internet and file share. My ISP is via, cable modem service, to which I've setup RRAS on the server. Of course I have 2 nic cards running on the server and they are working fine.

MY DILEMNA: B-(

On the server side, everything seems to be running smoothly. DNS Server, DHCP, & RRAS are performing (at least I think it is)good. BUT....... I can only connect to the internet thru the server. None of the clients can connect to the internet. On the server side (AGAIN!), Im using class C IP Addresses (192.168.X.X). The external nic card (thats connected to the Cable Modem) is automatically pulling in the IP address and Subnet Mask.

Can someone truly help me? Although as easy as it may seem for this type of setup, it has become a true vendetta!

HELP!

Have you set up NAT? And is your LAN NIC static? Does your DHCP scope point to the LAN NIC as gateway and for DNS? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thanks for your response-

Yes I have setup NAT, and I do have a static IP Address on the internal (local) nic card. DHCP is configured to point to hte LAN NIC as the gateway and for DNS.

I ran into the same problem, check this thread
thread96-201340
Maybe that can give you some other ideas to check out. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Also, you CANNOT run RRAS/NAT on the same computer with DHCP, as they conflict with each other.

I am running RRAS/NAT and DHCP on the same box in an almost identical setup as described above. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

RRAS/NAT & DHCP work together just fine...

From your clients : can you ping to an internet IP ?
can you post a traceroute to e.g. 62.112.0.7 in this forum ?

can you resolve names (maybe it is a DNS issue)
(try to ping to
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

I have had NAT and DHCP running on the same box, and ran into some problems. While researching, I found that M$ states that NAT and DHCP should NOT be running on the same box.

If you see my post you will see that I went through the same thing. First of all, someone told me I needed to NIC cards. I didn't although it didn't hurt anything. Second, I got a little education from some guys at Birchmore Communications and found out that another problem was that we only bought one static IP and we would need an IP for every workstation that would be connecting. And third, Bellsouth came out and installed a home style DSL modem. BIG PROBLEM. I was told by several people that a router WAS needed on the server and not a regular modem. Yes, I also tried all the things that the others have suggested to you and it did not work. When they came out and installed the router everything worked fine and I was not limited to the number of workstation that could connect like I was before getting the router.

One public IP would be fine for what he is trying to do. The workstations do not need public IPs to simply connect to the internet. His server will hand out private IPs to the network. The router can have the public IP on the WAN interface, and forward traffic by port to the server for remote access. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Do you have Internet Connection Sharing installed on the 2000 server?

Double check the workstations, make sure they are getting all of the appropriate IP information, (Gateway, DNS, etc.)

I don't recommend installing ICS. I tried it and had major problems. As quoted by m$oft " To resolve this issue, do not run the ICS service on a DHCP or DDNS server. NAT (which is installed using routing protocols in the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) snap-in) works correctly if you do not enable the DNS Proxy service or the DHCP allocator." (article Q250603)

I agree with MadanB, do not use ICS. Set up DHCP and DNS with RRAS and you should be good to go. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Stop using the second NIC. Plug the DSL Router or Cable modem directly into the switch or hub. Users will authenticate to W2k Server which will hand out the IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back