Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rpm segmentation fault -- installed wrong glibc? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiservguy

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
I've got a problem, probably self-generated, on a RHEL 3 server. I'm new to Linux, no one in my office is any more knowledgeable than me, and the people who built the server walked away from it months ago. Here's the problem:

I'm in the process of updating several packages on the server (to pass a Trusecure audit; OpenSSH needs a newer version of glibc than was running, which was being used by several other packages, etc. etc.)

As a first step, I found what I thought were the right glibc packages, tested the install, and then ran
rpm -Uvh glibc*
This worked without issue. However, I now can't add or remove other RPMs. I can query, test, etc., but if I try to install, update, or remove, I get
Segmentation fault

What research I've done implies that I applied the i386 version of glibc on top of the i686 version, and broke library links; I did install the i386 package, and uname -a says my architecture is i686, so that seems to be the problem.

However, the only additional information I've found is "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and install the correct glibc." This means nothing to me.

So my question is, what can I do to correct this issue? I've been beating my head against a wall for 2 days trying to undo the damage I've caused, but I either can't find the answer, or don't have the knowledge to understand the answer.

(We're in the process of registering this server with Red Hat, and once that's done I'm sure they'll be glad to help me, but the paperwork is lost in limbo somewhere, and my bosses want this fixed immediately. Why it wasn't registered by the people who built it is beyond me.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

fiservguy

You could download the source for rpm and recompile it on your machine as it is now. Then it will be linked against the right glibc.

Eric,

Thanks for your quick reply. Like I said, I'm a newbie, so these next questions will be pretty basic...

Do you mean download the .src.rpm package? If so, I know where to get that. If not, where can I find the source?

What steps are involved in recompiling? Is there a tutorial or howto you can point me to?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back