Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPM install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgraf

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2002
US
Hello,
I am new to Linux and am having trouble installing a RPM on a new Redhat 9 system. First thing I did is read over the man rpm pages but am still having trouble. I issue the
rpm -i <package file> command and it comes back and tells me that this package requires a large list of packages that need to be installed as well. Is there a command that I can issue that will install all of the required packages, or am I going to have to manually install each package that is required ?

Thanks,
Rob

Install yum or apt for RPM, and install the package using the one you decide to install. They will automatically resolve dependencies and install them for you.

//Daniel

Hello,
I installed apt, but it tries to go out on the web to download the packages. This RH box does not have an external connection. I downloaded all the rpms from the install cds to a dir called RPMS. I havn't figured out how to make apt look in this directory for the rpm files. I see that the /etc/apt dir has a sources.list file to point the apt program to the desired repository. Is there a way to make this program look in a particular local directory on the machine ?

I hate to say it but this rpm thing is a pain, you would think that it would install all the required dependent files, but it doesn't. I wish it had custom like my Openserver box does, it makes it so simple !

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

According to the man pages of apt that I've read, you'll need to modify the file /etc/apt/sources.list and insert a line like:

rpm file://<location to rpms>

and comment out any other source that points out into the internet. I haven't tried it personally but I hope its a push in the right direction for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back