Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPG IV Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaJ

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
Does anyone know what is up with the IBM Certification for RPG IV? I am an RPG/400 (15 years) programmer who is trying to get back into the market after a couple years in Healthcare as a Business Analyst. When I have to say that I haven't actually used RPG IV, only studied it, the door just closes. Any suggestions on proving expertise without an available Certification?

I'm surprise that you have studied RPG for many years and yet you have not actually used it? I maybe wrong in understanding your statement. Anyway, I have studied all my languages with IBM starting from Fortran, assembler,cobol,basic, RPG to RPGLE, etc but they have never given me any certification so far. The only certification is a certification of attendance. Does that qualifies as certification? The only certification I have is when I passed the government exam for engineering(mechanical and electronics).

I used RPGII, RPGIII and RPG/400 for 15 years, then switched to Analysis just when RPGIV was coming out. The Headhunters won't touch me since I don't have current RPGIV use. It's getting very frustrating. IBM has an RPGIV certification listed on their website, but when you go into it, it says that it has been withdrawn and stay tuned for future developments. I'll keep plugging. Thanks for the feedback.

PaulaJ,

Here is the link I found.

You'll see that IBM has withdrawn the certification. A bit fustrating. Good luck to you on your job search. I don't have my certification either but have stayed current on RPGLE. It's come a long, long way lately. You can now code free form, no more C specs. Here is a link to the V5R2 manuals.

Maybe they will be of some help to you. I hope so...

HTH,
MdnghtPgmr

If you have used RPGIII then there is no question that you can also write in either RPGIV or RPGLE. The difference is very minor. You can study the difference in couple of hours or less. There used to be a document in IBM that reference to the differences between version but I'm out of touch with them for many many years. I'm just surprised those headhunters don't seem to see it that way. I believe they don't really know what they are looking for. My very first job here in USA I was asked what do I know about RPG. I told them I used to program in the first generation of RPG where I have to create indexes separate from the files. I got the job.

Knowing RPG IV is one thing - almost anybody who has programmed in RPGIII/RPG400 can pick up on that. Taking advantage of the enhancements over the old way is quite another thing. What I found helpful was to bookmark the reference manual and I still refer to it often.

Maybe these employers are looking for someone who understands the concepts behind ILE (activation groups, binding directories, and so on), as opposed to just creating a bound program. In that case, maybe you should sign up for one of these conferences and take that course track. I'm going to the AS/400 Connection Conference in June.

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back