Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPG IV Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws1972

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
GB
I have a question that I am sure has been asked a thousand times but I can't find the answer on the keyword searches

I have just been thrown in at the deep end and been "asked" to make sense of someone elses RPG programs

While I can read them and understand them, I don't have the first idea about how to edit them, or write my own programs from scratch

What I need is a recomendation on a few RPG Beginners books to get me going

Any ideas ?

Thanks

[peace]

Hi jaws1972

I would recommend "Programming in RPG IV" second edition authors Bryan Meyers and Judy Yaeger.

This book was chosen for a class at my college by a few of us (I tutor) and it was found to be a good starting point for most of the intermediate programmers. The book does not go into great depth on certain aspects of the material covered but it does cover a far amount of the newer functions and methods available in ILE. I think my only critisism of the book is the lack or should say short chapters on the use of the CHAIN, SETLL etc.. functions.

you can also find a few good resources here

plus a book store [wink]

[sup] [/sub]

Thanks onpnt

I had found the same book on amazon and it had some good reviews. Glad to see someone confirm that it seems a good book

Cheers

how big is the program?
I can help you to understand it. Send me the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back