Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rpcinfo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

htran7

MIS
Mar 24, 2003
US
I was able to ping the client but it failed on rpcinfo -p hostname.
"rpcinfo: can't contact lgtomapper: Remote system error - connection refused"
"rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: Remote system erroor - connection refused"

I had added client/server in both hosts files.

Thanks for our help.

Make sure that the neccesary ports are open across your network. Default ports are 7937 -> 7939 and 10000 -> 30000. Yes, that's a lot of ports :). Try to also open for port 111 for rpc.

Hello htran7,
Did you ever receive a resolution to your problem regarding the following:
"rpcinfo: can't contact lgtomapper: Remote system error - connection refused"
I am also currently experience this same problem therefore any assistance would be appriciated.

If you guys ever would state the version you are using, sigh!

The portmapper was a separate utility that became obsolete with NW 5.7, more than 2 years ago. Are you really using
such old software?

I've seen a lot of "rpcinfo...connection refused" errors too. [Networker 6.1.3, Solaris 8 on Legato server]

Most of the time I see this error it's for a new client or a client that's down.

Check the client to see if it's running the Networker service/Networker Remote Exec service.

On the client , try winworkr -s servername
where servername is hte name of the Networker server.
Next check that nsrexecd is running on the client.

If so, look on the server and ensure you have created teh client and that you have it's normal name as client (e.g. shortname) and any other names (e.g FQDN) as aliases.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Additional info:
-Networker 7.0
-Networker service/Networker Remote Exec service clients are running.
-rpcinfo query is to a EMC celerra datamover NDMP interface which is registered as a member of a windows 2000 domain.
- DNS is also fully populated with netbios & FQN of the datamover.
- Able to ping the data mover by IP ass well as hostname from the Networker server.
-Firewall ports are fully opened between source & target systems. No packets are being dropped.
- Able to telnet to NDMP port#10000 on the celerra DM server.

Thanks

Hi,

I got this message on my OS X box (BSD Unix) when testing my Networker for Windows 7.13 server with OS X clients,
"rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: Remote system error - connection refused"

I did some research and found out that I needed to run PORTMAP in a terminal windows on my OS X clients to get the command "RPCINFO -P" to complete successfully. I also added it to my RC file. I'm now getting the other message "rpcinfo: can't contact lgtomapper: Remote system error - connection refused" on a Caldera Linux box but the portmapper part is working...

John Trembly
mailto:John.Trembly@dpcdsb.org

Is the listener nsrexecd running at the client? - It provides portmapper functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back