Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC Service shutting down/restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anesthaesia

Technical User
Aug 30, 2001
GB
I have just installed W2003 Ent Svr for the second time, and I keep getting the same problem.

After rebooting a few times and adding DHCP and WINS, eventually the machine starts restarting with a message similar to 'The machine is being restarted as the Remote Procedure Call terminated unexpectedly'

This is extremely annoying, and once it starts, it does it after a few minutes of the machine booting up.

I have changed the Recovery settings for the service to not reboot, but I would like to find what is causing this, and how to fix it.

If anyone knows what causes this, please let me know.

Cheers

Is it Blaster that causes this ?

Wow - that's fast man. Haven't even had a chance to install McAfee yet, and it's there.

I'll do a scan and see if it definately is that (in a way, I hope it is then I know what's causing it.)

The server's not on the main LAN yet, so the network's safe.

I have just run the fixBlast from Symantec, and it came up clean.

Anyone else had this happen before ?

Yeah, the worm doesn't always infect you. The worm on other machines is still causing your machine to crash tho, install the patch and the problem will disappear.

This warm cant infect .Net server but through other machines can send an RPC shutdown
This patch cause problems with SQL,ASP,IIS and some others connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back