Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC SERVER UNAVAILABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco2011

Technical User
Feb 19, 2011
GB
Hi guys,

Only 2 terminals one boh-

Ok , 95% of the time i have been able to fix any issues using info from other threads but now i am completely baffled.

The password to the ALOHABOH was due to expire and a member of staff changed it without telling anyone, the tills went down and once restoring the password to the original the tills came back online....

This has happened twice now and sometimes one of the tills gets stuck on 'waiting for end of day' - this time it was behaving

After fixing everything my boss asked the to get a file from another machine i had no cables just the tower so as it wasnt busy i quickly unplugged what i needed to send the file over email.

Now my master terminal boots up and works fine, my second terminal finds master terminal then stops with a rpc server unavailable error

-----------

I have looked at the debout - heres a short version of where the problem is

Terminal 1 asserts 1 is Master
Master Terminal is 1 now determining fileserver...
Master Terminal 1 asserts file server is ALOHABOH
RfsCltS.dll : The RPC Server is unavailable
Warning - exiting program. RFsCltS.dll reported a severe error
Exiting....

I dont know why after disconnecting the fileserver its behaving this way as theres been plenty of times where the fileserver has been shut off accidently

-

THis is for a small pub company and i do my bit and help them with their IT as its too expensive to pay maintanence to big companies...anything to keep my local afloat :)

Please help

Thanks

Sorry just to add the terminal with the problem is windows nt -boh is XP .... I have checked networ connections file server and till can access each other

Hi coorsman.

Sorry i would not of seen that thread as i am dealing with Aloha POS till systems

-

I checked the services

Theres 2 RPC services

One was miscellaneous RPC services and pin pointing-- thats started and working

The other was set to manual and can not start- error 2 can not find the specified file

-

i dont get why this has happned to just one till all of a sudden it didnt even restart when i unplugged the server it had the red border saying can no tfind file server

As its a POS Till system theres no CD Drive and i am doing everything remotely

What type of terminal do you have, brand and model if it's a radiant terminal.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Hi coorsman

Yeh its a radiant P1220

so is the master-- terminal

Thanks

All of this happened in the same day?
Did you reboot the BOH?

btw, I do not recommend ever doing what you did. Unplugging the BOH suddenly is a recipe for a disaster, especially depending on the POS version, which you did not provide.

I suspect that the misbehaving terminal is trying to connect to the other terminal as the server, which probably doesn't have RPC services running.

Turn the terminals off, reboot the BOH, turn the "good" terminal back on and make sure it connects to the BOH. On the bottom of the log-in screen it should only say "MASTER"
if it says "MASTER(SERVER:TERM1)" or anything similar, then you need to recover the fileserver first.)

Then turn on Term2, which should hopefully recognize term1 as the master and that should tell it that the server is the BOH...

hi Rok star

Thanks for your posty- i have been maintaining these till systems for about 2 years now and have over come all sorts of errors and issues withthe help of this forum and exisiting threads

In short

Staff member needed to access reports on BOH , windows
xp said password expired change to new -- they changed password from pos to pos1

I get a call saying the tills have gone down

I connect remotely check normal issues date etc....figure out its not talking to server and realise what has happened as it happened quite a while back....

change password back....both terminals working fine .... shut down fileserver, disconnected cables ie power and monitor key board mouse to plug into another pc tower for no more than 5 minutes

plug back in master terminal recognizes fileserver is back and continues to work automatically the other machine has decided to reboot and comes up with this error

IT finds master terminal fine and comes up withthis RPC server unavailable

it looks for master takes 5-15 secs and then fileserver normally if i disconnect fileserver in past it keeps looking until it comes up with the option to make file server or whatever

i have switched off all terminals and rebooted in all different orders
i have tried copying and pasting data files on the working terminal to the other one -

terminal names have not changed - i have tried changing the bad terminal to be master -

still no luck

sorry im running 6.1.7 ALoha

on radiant p1220 terminals the terminal used to have a inbuilt printer once upon a timedont know what model

but it broke last year and we changed to a p1220 and currently waiting to order a new epson printer-----

On the BOH, go to RUN and type services.msc then hit enter.
In the list presented, find ctlsvr and right click and go to 'properties'.
On the tab called 'Logon', tell us what is there. If it is checked to "Log on as a specific user", then you should stop the service, enter the new password (twice) and start the service again. Repeat this for EDCsvr (ONLY if the same box is checked) and do this ONLY WHEN THE FOH IS NOT NEEDED.
If the box isn't checked, ignore these steps.

next,
On the good terminal, look in the file called downtime.ini.
It should be in the aloha directory.
It should look similar to this:
[Ibertech]
LastMaster=Term1
LastServer=AlohaBOH

If that is correct, copy this file (do not remove it) to the bad terminal, in the same exact location and restart it.

I'm not saying it's not something else, but these steps should be done first to make sure everything is connecting correctly.

You should also make sure that you can browse, read, edit etc files on both terminals from the fileserver and from each other.

shoot, sorry.
I missed the part that you said you changed the password back.

In that case, ignore the services steps I mention and just go into User Accounts and make sure none of the accounts are locked out.

But you may still want to try the downtime.ini copy.

Hi , yeh i checked downtime and made bad terminal the master, loads up 15 seconds while it determines master terminal thats ok , then determines file server and RPC error comes up still

all accounts are active, set to auto log on

as i mentioned both terminals were working and exactly the same thing happened to both at same time, just lost connection to file sever which has hapened a few times in the past with no terrible outcome when the network hub failed for instance, master terminal just clicked right back on, this one is now being very awkward

Its a FOh till and we have staff using pen and paper at the moment for orders and to input orders on the terminal downstairs at the end of their shifts - its a fairly busy bar in london

if someone can connect remotely and take a look , my email is m.baiardo88"gmail.com send me a msg and i can give u log on detials

It's likely still a BOH issue.

Check in the services on the BOH. Make sure the following are all started: RPC Server, RPC Server Locator & Print Spooler.

Make sure that any services that are set to "Automatic" are started, if not try and start them. (report any you find please)

Also, on RPC Server Service, go to properties, recovery and on "First failure", "Second failure" and "Subsequent failures" choose "restart the service" on each of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back