Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC problems on windows 2000 Network 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinidude

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
US
I am a tech managing a windows 2000 network on which most of the client machines have XP operating system running. This morning most computers developed a problem that caused a dialogue box to come up giving you 58 secs to close your applications before it shut the computer down. I went to the server and noticed that the RPC service has been stopped. When I brought it back up and restarted the service on the client machines, everything worked for about 5 minutes then the RPC service on the server would stop again. I spoke to a friend who is connected to Adelphia Cable, which is totally unrelated to my network and he has the same problem. Any ideas?

install the RPC update,remove msblast.exe check norton.com for removal....... there are hundreds of threads about this...........js

JeffS

What does the event viewer shows? Anything like this?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

We have had exactly the same problem!

But on two different windows 2000 server machines at different locations. Started on Friday.

We did some updates on each. And a service pack on the other.

We ended up rolling back the service pack. The servers are still having the same problem. I think it is one of the recent updates that MS has sent out that has caused this.

Ah, jumped the gun on my post. yep it is the worm. Thanks for the info guys.

I was going to say, "It's the worm", but sounds like you figured that out. I've got several clients I'm havin to take care of. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back