Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC-HTTP front-end back-end

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardum

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2000
SE
Im running 1 exchange 2003 server SP2 which has everything installed. The store and OWA. Is it possible to have it like this and run RPC over HTTP? If so, are there any guides or white papers?

If not, can OWA service act as a front-end server?

Absolutley you can. But you don't mention anythign about the rest of your domain. Using RPC over HTTP requires that all global catalog servers must be Windows 2003 and have RPC over HTTP installed.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hello This is great Information.

I am also trying to configure our Exchange Server to be configured with RPC orver HTTP.

Now our Exchange Server is configured as a Single-Server to be used RPC over HTTP

Do I need to purchase an SSL Certificate for the RPC to work.

Thank you,
Marcelo

No, windows has its own Cert Server you can use and it is free. Look in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components.

Regards,

Mark

I'm still having problems with this. If i take a workstation with XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 (all patches) which belongs to the AD of the LAN where the Exchange server exists and put it out on the internet and tries to create a profile i succeed. However if i take a fresh and clean install of XP SP2 with Outlook 2003 i recieve the error that it can't connect to the exchange server. Anyone have any ideas? I think it could be related to the Global Catalog. What is the Global Catalog and how do i enable it?

Please restate what isn't working more clearly. Are you saying if you try to connect to outlook from an Internet client?

An internet client will need to be configured with the cert. First go to OWA and it will prompt you if you want to install the cert. Say yes, then configure the Outlook for RPC connection.

Regards,

Mark

I receive the following error message when starting up Outlook with the new profile:
"The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

I've tried installing the cert however after installing the cert i receive a prompt that says "The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust..."

When prompted for the cert you need to choose the button on the far right, sorry I don't recall what it says, maybe advanced. You need to view the certificate then choose to install the cert and if prompted with any warnings say yes to install. Without the cert it will never work.

Next configure the Outlook client for Outlook over HTTP.

To create an Outlook profile to use with RPC over HTTP
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, do one of the following tasks:
• If you are using Category View, in the left pane, under See Also, click Other Control Panel Options, and then click Mail.
• If you are using Classic View, double-click Mail.
3. In Mail Setup, under Profiles, click Show Profiles.
4. In Mail, click Add.
5. In New Profile, in the Profile Name box, type a name for this profile, and then click OK.
6. In the E-mail Accounts wizard, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
7. On the Server Type page, click Microsoft Exchange Server, and then click Next.
8. On the Exchange Server Settings page, do the following steps:
a. In the Microsoft Exchange Server box, type the name of your back-end Exchange server where your mailbox resides.
b. Select the check box next to Use Cached Exchange Mode (optional, recommended).
c. In the User Name box, type the user name.
d. Click More Settings.
e. On the Connection tab, in the Exchange over the Internet pane, select the Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP check box.
f. Click Exchange Proxy Settings.
9. On the Exchange Proxy Settings page, under Connections Settings, do the following steps:
a. Enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the RPC proxy server in the Use this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange box.
b. Select the Connect using SSL only check box.
c. Next, select the Mutually authenticate the session when connecting with SSL check box.
d. Enter the FQDN of the RPC proxy server in the Principle name for proxy server box. Use the format: msstd:FQDN of RPC Proxy Server.
e. As an optional step, you can configure Outlook 2003 to connect to your Exchange server using RPC over HTTP by default by selecting the check box next to On fast networks, connect to Exchange using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.
10. On the Exchange Proxy Settings page, in the Proxy authentication settings window, in the Use this authentication when connecting to my proxy server for Exchange list, select Basic Authentication.
11. Click OK.

If you did not configure the registry edits mentioned int he RPC deployment guide, go back and review that doc and set that up as specified.

Regards,

Mark

Hello,

Can I haver RPC over HTTP working without purchasing an SSL certificate.

On IIS under Default Websites / RPC, clicked on "RPC Properties" and edit "Authentication and access control".

I unchecked "Enable anonymous access"

Under "Authentication access" the following 2 are checked:
Integrated Windows authentication and Basic authentication

I have blank on "Default domain" and "Realm".

Under Secure Connections under RPC Properties I have checked:
Require SSl and 128-bit encryption

Under Client Certificates "ignore client certificates" is selected.

"Enable client certificate mapping" is unchecked.

when I open the Web Browser and I type it doesnt work.

I installed the Certificate Services but I'm not sure how to configure this section and not sure if here is were the problem is occuring.

If anyone can help would be great.

Thank you,
Marcelo

When you installed Certificate Services, did you give the Cert the public domain name of the server?

Regards,

Mark

Hello,

Yes I did well I called it the name of the server such as exchange.domainname.com

thanks,
Marcelo

But is that the name listed as the MX record for the server?

Regards,

Mark

no its not... currently the mx record is exchange.testserver.com example

once the server is working I will need to point the mx record to exchange.defaultserver.com

When I created the certificate I called it the name of the Exchange server exchange.defaultserver.com and when I setup the mx record it will be called mail.defaultserver.com

I don't know if I got you confused.

Marcelo

The certificate must be named exchange.defaultserver.com. The cert MUST match the adress you are using to access the box.

You also need to INSTALL the cert. Easiest way I know of to do that is to acess OWA and when prompted select to install the cert instead of just clicking OK.

Another way to install the cert is to visit

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back