Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrapps

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
US
I'm trying to get RPC to work on my Exchange Server. When I use testexchangeconnectivity.com's testing utility, I get all successful green checkmarks besides one. I get an error that says:
Attempting to ping RPC Endpoint 6002 (Referral Service) on server myexchangeserver.local
Failed to ping Endpoint
Additional Details
RPC Status 1130 (1130) returns in 3ms

I used this article to configure my RPC service on my exchange server.
I'm able use the URL in IE to access the RPC service within IIS. I used the registry editing tool in the article to make sure the right ports were configured for the RPC service to work properly. Any ideas?

Are you using ISA? Also, I noticed that the error shows no hostname as being the target for the RPC call. Are you really using your internal domain name as the endpoint for the RPC? IE, are you just putting in your internal domain name instead of the internal name of your Exchange server? When you set up Outlook Anywhere, you'll need to reference the internal server name in the interface.

On the other hand, you wouldn't have to be worrying about any of this if we had a nicely configured AutoDiscover environment on hand.

So what have you tried so far?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Autodiscover works when I run the Outlook testing tool. It's just that RPC doesn't work. I'm not using ISA. I am using my internal domain name and server NETBIOS name. It's in this form: company-exchsvr.DOMAIN (yeah I know it's a SLD). I did try and set up OUtlook manually using the correct settings (internal FQDN for exchange server name, external hostname for proxy server).

Internally everything is peachy. It's when I leave the internal network that I get problems.
I've check the RPC service, it's running
I'm able to input the URL and I get a blank screen, which I think means it's connecting.
I ran the TestExchangeConnectivity Test and all successful except ONE thing.
See link below:

Well, the Single Level Domain name you are using is probably at the heart of the problem.

But you can get OA working when you on on the LAN? Make sure that you have both the "fast" and "slow" network checkboxes checked. Chances are that it's switching over to straight MAPI on the LAN, which is why it works.

What do you have under this registry key?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy
Should be multiple entries.

Let's pretend your company's name is SHOVEL and that your internal domain is named SHOVEL, but your external is SHOVEL.COM, let's try and stick to that convention when we're troubleshooting this.

In the error you listed at the beginning of the page, you referred to "myexchangeserver.local", did it really say "servername.local" or did it have the full internal FQDN for your server? Like myserver.shovel?

Are you getting errors in the App log on the server?

The article you reference at Petri is about Exchange 2003, not Exchange 2007, so if you did much configuring according to those instructions, there's a decent chance that something got screwed up. Exchange 2007 is built to handle Outlook Anywhere out-of-the box, more or less, once you install the certificate.

I assume you've done the "Enable Outlook Anywhere" option in the Exchange Management Console.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Actually, I had it working with the SLD before, I must have accidentally changed something and it stopped working.

OA does work on the LAN. I do have the Fast and Slow connection settings checked.

As for my registry settings, it's as follows.
Enabled value is set to 1.
Validports Value is as follows:
MYSERVER:6001-6002;MYSERVER:6004;myserver.shovel:6001-6002;myserver.shovel:6004

In the error above, it was the internal FQDN of the server:myserver.SHOVEL

I see NO errors in the application log pertaining to this issue.

Yes, I understand that the Petri article is about Exchange 2003. I ran a program to automatically change the RPC registry settings to make sure it's listening on the right ports. I thought this was unchanged with Exchange 2007 but I was just blindly assuming that.

I have enabled Outlook Anywhere in EMC. I have the external hostname in the testbox (MAIL.SHOVEL.COM) and Basic Authentication is enabled. I have disabled SSL offloading.

Sure,
ServerName : MYSERVER
SSLOffloading : False
ExternalHostname : mail.shovel.com
ClientAuthenticationMethod : Basic
IISAuthenticationMethods : {Basic, Ntlm}
MetabasePath : IIS://myserver.SHOVEL/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Rpc
Path : C:\WINDOWS\System32\RpcProxy
Server : MYSERVER
AdminDisplayName :
ExchangeVersion : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
Name : Rpc (Default Web Site)
DistinguishedName : CN=Rpc (Default Web Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=
MYSERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative
Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,C
N=Shovel Organization,CN=Microsoft Excha
nge,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=SHOVEL
Identity : MYSERVER\Rpc (Default Web Site)
Guid : 66453320-a9d2-4aa7-bc03-b79bc535f7a6
ObjectCategory : SHOVEL/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Rpc-Http-Virtual-
Directory
ObjectClass : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory, msExchRpcHttpVirtual
Directory}
WhenChanged : 8/16/2007 11:19:15 AM
WhenCreated : 8/16/2007 11:19:15 AM
OriginatingServer : DC.SHOVEL
IsValid : True

Hello Dave, I got the RPC test to yield successful results! I went to the RPC folder in IIS and changed the security settings to ignore certificates. Not sure why it works now, but it was set up as accept certificates before. I saw a screenshot of another user with setting to ignore certificates so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I can set up Exchange remotely through RPC over HTTPS and was able to do so through autodiscovery. Still get an error with the OAB in the "Sync" folder saying it can't access the URL. Also, OOF gives an error too saying that the server is unavailable. I set up all the URL's for those services in Powershell. When I go to Outlook and run the test, I get the correct URLS. I'm able to open the URLs in IE and get XML information.

Sorry to post so much, but I think it's because i don't have an A record for autodiscover. This is absolutely necessary right? I was under the impression that I didn't need to because outlook will search for and find the information from there before it tries autodiscover.shovel.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml. I'm guessing my assumption was wrong.

I'm still getting the same problems. I've addded the host record in my host file to test and it still gives me the same error.

I have noticed one thing. When I change the RPC folder in IIS to "ignore certificate" after a few hours it gets set back to "accept certificate" and I'm unable to connect to the Exchange server via OA. When I change it back, it starts working again. Any idea why it's doing this?

Called Microsoft PSS. Solution was easy. Go to IIS, Right-Click "default website", go to "directory security", click on the edit button at the bottom, change the radio button to "ignore certificates", apply this change and make sure to select all the subfolders so those changes inherit to them too. It looks like the parent folder "default website" settings where being inherited in the subfolders so that's why they kept changing back to "accept certificate". Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back