Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC error: Unable to send

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbar128

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
DE
Hi !

when I try to backup one of our Servers I get always an RPC error: Unable to send in some directorys. When I skip this directorys the Backup is Successful. The same hapends when I copy the directory to another disk. I have also deleted the Client und removed all indexes form the networker server.

Error Message:
RPC error: Unable to send
save failed on path filename

Networker Server is Version 7.1.1 on Win2000.
Client is Win2000 TS. Networker Client 7.1.1.
rpcinfo -p server works fine.

Any idea's ?

Hold on - you want to tell us that this happens if you use a simple COPY command?
If this is really true, what makes you think that this is really a NetWorker problem?

No,

I get the rpc error also when I copy the directoy to another disk and backup this "new" directory. What I will say I get the rpc error always in this directory regardless where the directoy is. And when I copy the dir to a new destination the new dir 100% not corrupt.

This is strange. As we do not have a clue WHY this happens, we have to first isolate the problem.

The only things i can imagine right now are..
- invalid pathnames
- invalid character (NW had a lot of problems with foreign language support in the past)
- ???

Try to find the exact directory and/or filename that causes the trouble. This may help.

These failing directories don't have 1000+ entries immeditely below them do they?

No only 4 file and one dir.

Here is a capture of the backup.

D:\Equation>save -vv -s hmmh-backup -g t1162016 *
save: got prototype for /
save: got prototype for REPAIRDISK:save: got prototype for C:save: got prototype for D:save: got prototype for C:save: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\winssave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\dhcpsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32save: got prototype for C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\administrator.HMMHsave: got prototype for D:save: got prototype for C:\WINNTsave: got prototype for D:save: got prototype for C:\WINNTsave: got prototype for C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\administrator.HMMH\Lokale
Einstellungen\Temp\1save: got prototype for C:\WINNT\Debugsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\DTCLogsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\Registrationsave: got prototype for D:save: got prototype for C:\WINNT\repairsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32save: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\configsave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\NtmsDatasave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\dllcachesave: got prototype for C:\WINNT\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04
FC295EE}save: got prototype for C:chdir(D:\Equation\1031)
Name=`D:\Equation\1031\', name=`D:\Equation\1031\', fname=`.\'
save: found protofile spec for /:
mntasm : A:
save: found protofile spec for D:\:
+ skip : *.crmlog
walk(D:\Equation\1031\, .\)
`D:\Equation\1031\' change time Tue Mar 23 17:36:19 2004
walk(D:\Equation\1031\EEINTL.DLL, EEINTL.DLL)
`D:\Equation\1031\EEINTL.DLL' change time Tue Mar 23 17:36:19 2004
holey -s D:\Equation\1031\EEINTL.DLL
asm -s D:\Equation\1031save: directory contents for D:\Equation\1031\:
EEINTL.DLL
chdir(D:\Equation\)
Name=`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.CNT', name=`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.CNT', fname=`EQNEDT3
2.CNT'
walk(D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.CNT, EQNEDT32.CNT)
`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.CNT' change time Tue Mar 23 17:36:19 2004
asm -s D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.CNT
chdir(D:\Equation\)
Name=`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE', name=`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE', fname=`EQNEDT3
2.EXE'
walk(D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE, EQNEDT32.EXE)
`D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE' change time Tue Mar 23 17:36:19 2004
holey -s D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE
save: RPC error: Unable to send
save: save failed on D:\Equation\EQNEDT32.EXE
save completion time: 3-25-04 1:41p

D:\Equation>

You have some directives coming into play. What does the directive read as? Try the backup without the directives in use (check the directive in the client/group spec and any directives fiels on the server, or any files ending .dir).

I do not think that this is possible as most of them like mntasm and holey are used automatically.
However, i would write "+skip: ...." instead of "+ skip : ..."

I have disabled the "nt standard directives" but same effect.

I start the backup on the client with: save -vv -s hmmh-backup -g t1162016 *

dir listing
D:\Equation>dir
Datenträger in Laufwerk D: ist Datenträger
Datenträgernummer: DA87-05AF

Verzeichnis von D:\Equation

23.03.2004 17:36 <DIR> .
23.03.2004 17:36 <DIR> ..
23.03.2004 17:36 <DIR> 1031
15.11.1996 19:48 2.646 EQNEDT32.CNT
19.11.1998 22:09 519.168 EQNEDT32.EXE
27.02.1999 04:02 174.640 EQNEDT32.HLP
01.08.1997 09:37 7.656 MTEXTRA.TTF

I think I have found the problem.
The problem seems to come from one of our HP switches.
When I put the Server on another switch the backup is Successful.

Thanks too all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back