Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC error: Unable to send 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekMan01

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
CA
NW server: OS: 8.0 / NW version: 6.1.3
Client: Windows 2000

Does anyone know why the backup job failed after a completed job? I got the following log stating that there are "RPC error: Unable to send" and "shutdown failed". I have set the group to retry 3 times, but if the job is completed, why it needs to retry? Any ideas?

12/16/03 10:18:43 nsrd: "Backup client":d:\webs done saving to pool 'BACKUPPOOL' (100033) 4637 MB
* "backup client":d:\webs save: using `D:\Webs' for `d:\webs'
* "backup client":d:\webs save: RPC error: Unable to send
* "backup client":d:\webs save: RPC error: Unable to send
* "backup client":d:\webs save: shutdown failed
12/16/03 10:18:48 savegrp: "backup client":d:\webs will retry 3 more time(s)

Any hints are appreciated!!!

Do you have accidentally multiple groups running to backup
this client ?

Thanks for you reply 605,

No, only 1 group setup for this client. Is there any other way I can try to test for the cause of RPC error beside using rpcinfo command?

What is your inactivity timeout of the group?

cyberted

decrease the client priority (standart is 500) so that the client will be backed up before any other and the savegroup inactivity timeout

Try running the savegrp in verbose mode and look at the output:

savegrp -vvv -c (client) -l full (group name) >c:\abc.txt 2>&1

The output will be in a file called c:\abc.txt

decrease the client retries to 1 and set the inactivity timeout of the group to 0

By the way, what type of NIC cards are you using on the client? Are you using nic teaming? Anything showing up in the event logs?

To LGTObug:

set the inactivity timeout of the group to 0 can reduce the waiting time, but what good if I decrease the client retries to 1? I have it set to 3 times and found that sometime works on 2nd tries.

To wallace88:

I am using 100 baseT NIC and nothing in event logs.

i had nearly the same problem with 3 retries. The backup worked fine but the savegrp command never contactet my Backupserver that the backup was finished. So it ran into an timeout and it started again cause of the retries 3 and overwrites my existing backups. So i set the retries to 1 that this can't happen again.

Did you test the Network and DNS settings with rpcinfo -p and nslookup?

Check this out and give us feedback.

I tried rpcinfo and nslook up.

rpcinfo -p works fine

program vers proto port service
100000 2 tcp 7938 rpcbind
100000 2 udp 7938 rpcbind
390113 1 tcp 7937 nsrexec

try nslook up: - I don't think there is DNS server.

*** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response from server
*** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No response from server
*** Default servers are not available

So.
Look's like you work with hosts-files. Did you check if they are setup up correctly with short and long name?

is there any Firewall between these two hosts?

check you "nsrports" setting on Client and Backupserver. Are there Standart settings or did you made your own Port definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back