Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC error: Program not registered

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonny2

MIS
Jan 28, 2003
US
I keep geeting this message when I try to use a RedHat 7.1 server connecting to a RedHat 7.1 client.
* fey:/shares/SHARE1/Data/ 1 retry attempted
* fey:/shares/SHARE1/Data/ nsrexec: authtype nsrexec
* fey:/shares/SHARE1/Data/ savefs: RPC error: Program not registered
* fey:/shares/SHARE1/Data/ savefs: Cannot access nsr server `Fey.XornDomain.com` savefs fey:failed.

I have aliases in /etc/hosts/,DNS, and NIS all for the servers I am attempting to reach.

I tried taking both DNS and NIS out of the picture and still no luck.

I am able to ping and do rpcinfo -p fey successsfully.

besides normal info there is
351396 1 udp 997
351396 1 tcp 999
390113 1 tcp 7937

showmount -e fey shows
Export List for Fey:
/SHARE3 *
/SHARE2 *
/SHARE1 *

so I know rpc is working between the server and the client.

Any clues to what I am missing. I have tried deleting the /nsr/nsr.res b/c it might be corrupted. But that did not help either.

I made sure the I update the ncurses and glibc according to the Legato compatability for RedHat 7.1 Server.

From a Win2K server I can access the client just fine.
I have also tried accessing a different RedHat 7.1 client and I get the same result.

Both RedHat 7.1 clients are SNAP Guardians products. One is a Guardian 1U 4400 and the other is a Guardian 14000 Server.

Make sure that the servers file in the client has the correct server name in it.

I have tried that. It is in there. I also made sure that I can ping based on the host name in the /nsr/res/servers file.

Name of Client: Sandwitch
Name of Server: Archiver

from sandwitch I typed ping `grep arc /nsr/res/servers` and the ping came back successful.

You can also try using rpcinfo in place of ping if you haven't already.

rpcinfo -p netbiosname
rpcinfo -p FQDN
rpcinfo -p IPaddress

This tells you if there is a portmapping problem.

thanx, already tried that also.

rpcinfo works just fine as well.

It does not make any sense.

HI,
Put in the networker servername and the networker clientname in the hosts table on both server and client.

/Cia

Did you also put the aliases in de client setup in nwadmin?
If the client name is 'somename', but it communicates with the Networker server as being 'somename.some.domain', it might help to add both names to the aliases field in the client setup.

Hi,

I'm presently having the same problem right now and
I've also done the same things as clonny2 did. Anyone
has an update with this problem?

Thanks.

yes, just have a same problem yesterday.

I just stop the SPC and RPC servies on SUN solaris. Hope this experience can help u.

Some checks and tricks that might help you:
- Check your licenses. For Linux clients you need an linux enabler. Since version 6.? it Linux isn't considered a unix client anymore.
- Check your firewall (if you have one) rules. See the docs for the right port ranges. If it is only partially closed you might get all kinds of weird problems including RPC errors.
- Sometimes (as a last resort) restarting the client daemons and/or the server software (I hate that) might help to get rid of weird problems. I suspect obscure network/firewall problems in those cases. Probably resulting in some kind of zombie tcp sessions blocking further correct communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back