Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RP: Alphabet order reversed in W98 popup browsers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootBoy

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
I posted this query a few weeks ago and have been away and can't find it, even using search. Sorry for repost.
The alphabetical order of my folders and files in the pop-up file browsers eg. Open File(all progs) or Insert Picture(OE) have all been reversed. W/Exp is unaffected! I can change it by re-sorting at the time but it always reverts next time. I'm gradually getting used to it but it's driving me mad. I think I've picked up a malicious script from somewhere but I haven't got a known virus. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks, BB.

Have you tried clicking the name button at the top to reset back to alphabetical order, then View-> Folder Options-> View Tab-> Like Current Folder button. Sorry if you already tried this... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thanks mattwray, the 'View-> Folder Options-> View Tab-> Like Current Folder button' facility is not available in my 'Open File' browsers! All I have is 'List' and 'Details' button, list is the default and when I click on details I get the 'Name' bar along the top. Clicking name corrects the alphabetical order. Right clicking in the pane only allows me to sort in different ways. None of the options in the right-click menu enable me to save current settings or apply to all folders. That facility is available in W/Exp and everything works fine in there. I always thought that the pop-up browsers were part of W/Explorer so can't understand why they're different.
Cheers, BB.

Hmmm, not sure what it could be, will have to think on it... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Couple of supplementary questions: Does anyone know which register keys refer to these browser windows? and, can I simply and safely replace explorer.exe with a backup? I'm using W98SE. Thanks, BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back