Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

roxio problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abpinc

Technical User
Oct 15, 2004
US
I hope this is the right area for this. I have a Dell Dimention 2400 desktop and run winxp. I also have a Dell inspiron 5100 and run win xp. I bought Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum and installed it on both computers. Before doing so I deleted through add / remove programs the Sonic Record Now which came on my laptop. The desktop had Roxio Easy CD creator (Simple version) so I did not delete it, just run the new disk to install. Now when I format a CD on either computer and put my files on it, the other computer will not let me open the file or save changes made to it (It says that it is read only)I wish I knew how to connect 2 computers with a lan so I would not have this trouble, but I am not that good with a pc. Any help on either? My goal is to just be able to use my laptop on the job sites daily, put it on cd, come home and load it onto my desktop (So I have 3 copies)P.S. I tried to use Sonic on both, same problem

Your post does not say if you are using CDR's or CDRW's. CDR's are by nature read only, once the file is written to a cdr it cannot be rewritten - CDRW's on the other hand work like floppies if you format them correctly (ie Direct CD)
BTW - networking the systems is very simple, you only need to make sure that both machines have ethernet ports and put a cross wired ethernet cable between them, easily done for under a hundred dollars and a little research.

First, you can rewrite a file to a CD-R. The software simply writes the file to a new location on the CD-R. The directory is also changed. I do this all the time.

Your system tells you the CD is read only, but you say you cannot open it. What does 'open' mean? In Windows Explorer, can you see the contents of the CD? When you ejected the CD from the machine that wrote it, Roxio asks how to finish processing the CD. What do you tell it? Can the CD be read by the machine which wrote it? What do mean by formatting it? What is doing the formatting?

Ok, to be specific it will do the following: I make changes to the Quattro Pro spreadsheet I call buisness files located on my cdrw. I then try to close out the program. It tells me that I can not save changes to Buisness files because it is read only. So I save as buisness files on the desktop. Now that is fine, but it will not save the changes I made to the disk version and it returns to the original file. If I try to drop & drag or copy and paste the desktop file to the cd, it will tell me that there are files waiting to be written to the cd, so I click ok, then it tells me that the disk is full or write protected please insert a blank disk. And if I do all this with the laptop, the desktop can not find the buisness files on the disk. As I stated before I wish I could remember how to connect 2 computers with lan. I had a man walk me through it and all I remember is that we created a share folder and he had me do a few things and I could connect, unfortunately I had to reload windows and lost the info. I tried to obtain this on the net but get lost. I even tried to use the connection wizzard with no luck, they still cant see each other

It sounds like you are using Windows rather than Roxio to write the CD. I don't think Windows understands what a CD-RW is, and it certainly will not do multi-sessions on a CD-R. You need to learn how to use the Roxio software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back