Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

row validate (dup entries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOMMER

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
US
Is there a easy way to validate that a row does not get duplicated. I have more that one data entry person and if they enter the same data twice I want to check for this. I do have a date colunm I can use if this will help.

The easiest way to handle this is to set up a Primary key or Unique Index on the table. This insures the records are unique for the columns in the Key or Index. Access will then prevent duplicate entries and extra coding is not needd. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Establish just what combination of fields (or a single field) constitutes duplication. That might be SSN, or {last name and phone}, or whatever. Then set an index on such, with NO duplicates permitted, on the table. -------
"What is your favourite colour?" "Blue! No! Yell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back