Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

row retention period

Status
Not open for further replies.

barasel1

Programmer
Dec 5, 2006
US
I have a requirement to delete row from a table, after it has passed 90 days from the date it was inserted.

One way is do it writing a program which would run every day to delete the 'expired' rows.

Is there any mechanism db2 provides to do this automatically?(something similar to trigger but based duration from a row inserted)

Thanks

I don't think it can be done with a trigger as these work on table modification, and that's not what you are dealing with here.

I've not come across something that can do this and my initial feeling is that you will have to write a daily running program to perform the delete.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though.......

Marc

A stored procedure containing a "LOOP" statement that determines that it is a new day and calls one or more other procedures to do your deletions.

Not sure how much of a resource hog this might be but it does stay within the dbms.

If "LastDatePerformed" were written to some table, and this procedure were executed at dbms startup, then the process would even survive machine failure.

Mike Harris

Mike Harris
Data Modeling & Administration

This requirement is also known as 'purging'.
With - for instance - ERP systems this is most commonly handled by special sets of business rules and performed batch-wise in the quiet hours. However this usually involves some sort of native 'scheduler' and sets of procedures. I think RDBMS vendors rely on applications to take care of it

Ties Blom

You could try scheduling a script.

One way is do it writing a program which would run every day to delete the 'expired' rows.

Try doing in that in DB2 Script Center.

Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
s.sipahi@sahinlerholding.com.tr
turkey_clr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back