Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Row level security

Status
Not open for further replies.

triad66

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2001
US
I'm trying to set up security to prevent certain users from accessing specific records, but allow them access to other records within the same table(s).

This could be based on classes. Ex. - a user in the "staff" class cannot access payroll records of users in the "admin" class but can access all other classes. Same with vendors, customers, etc.

Any ideas are appreciated!

This is something that I did for my salesmen/sales managers.

I picked a field on the salesman card and a field on the territory card and signified it as a "password"

I then created crystal reports that used this password field as a restriction ie IF MIDDLENAM="PASSWORD" then print the report otherwise nothing would print out. Then I was able to present to the salesmanager his territory report without having to create several different reports with seperate restrictions.

You could do something similar with an employee record or employee class to do the same thing.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Hi Jazgeek,

Thanks, that will work for me with Crystal.

But I also need to limit security to Great Plains users. I want the "staff" user to be able to do queries, set up employee cards, enter transactions for all employees except "Admin" class (and others) of employees. Same holds true for AP where they cannot view or edit certain classes of vendors.

Hope I'm not too vague about my needs to limit security at the "record/row" level.

To achieve this you will need to create a VBA, or even better, Dexterity customisation. Dexterity is the better tool here because with a SQL database it can limit the records at the server and provide a more seamless and faster method of filtering.

I have written a Row Level Filtering demo which uses the user's class to limit access to vendors, customers, items, employees by class and also SOP Document Types.

Please contact me if you want to have a look at this demonstration which was developed as a proof of concept and at this stage is only active for the sample company.

I am trying to see if I can get this made available for purchase.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

I would like to look at this demo. What's the best way to contact you, Dave?

Email me.

My email address is my first initial followed by the first 7 letters of my surname at Microsoft dot com.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back