Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Row Level Locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miners47

Technical User
Jul 14, 2000
US
Background
I have a table (Table_Keys) that contains the next unique key to use for certain tables. I am developing an application for a mutli-user environment and there is a high level of probability that this table will get accessed several times (1000's of times) throughout the day.

I have written an algorithm that gets the next key from the table and then writes the next available key back after incrementing the key. The key is alpha-numeric. To ensure data integrity, I need this algorithm to have full control of the row it is accessing in the Table_Keys table. This "lock" should not be released until the next key has been written back to the table.

Question
If two applications submit a SELECT FOR UPDATE against the Table_Keys table, will transaction 2 wait to retrieve the row it is accessing until transaction 1 is completely finished with its read and write execution?

It should.

However I have a suggestion.

I use a similar method, however what I do is increment the key first, then send it back to the calling procedure, that way I do not have to worry about a locks being held. the only drawback is that in method you can end up skipping keys, if a procedure requests a key but then does not end up writing the record to the table. In my case that skipped key does not matter but it may be an issue for you.

I have done this

update mytable
set mykey = mykey + 1
where ...

select mykey
into @mykey
from mytable

if u use the update u will lock it.

Regards

The life is too short to cry and long enough to try it... God bless us.
[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back