Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roving profiles - new user issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotmale

MIS
Jul 15, 2001
AU
Is there any way to stop Outlook from doing its 'Run Once' stuff for a new user?

Here is the story:
I want to users to get the same profile for the area they work - Roaming profiles.
I want users not be able to change their profile - mandatory roaming profile.
(Incidently - I want to leave the mandatory profile on C:\Drive to minimise bandwith usage.)
I want to get users to be able to get their own exchange mail profile - Roving Profile.

In the log-in script-
I call up profgen.exe
"newprof exchange.prf -R -P exchange.prf -L"
where the exchange.prf is set up correctly.
And it all works, EXCEPT, everytime the user logs on - it thinks it is a first time we have openned Outlook (which makes sense), but it always asks you for your full name and initials, and then gives you a "Welcome to Outlook" email.
I could get rid of the Welcome message by rules, but I would have to set up the rule for every user.

Is there any way to stop Outlook from doing its 'Run Once' stuff for a new user? Or is there a better suggestion?

There is a new profgen utility called modprof. It works just like newprof except that it can detect if a user already has profile setup.

Goto: to search their Knowledge Base. Look for Knowledge Base Article Q271786. It tells you how to use it and where to get it.

Scott Trapp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back