Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing without VLANs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nloecke

Technical User
May 25, 2005
US
The simple question: Can my 3560 act as the default gateway and provide static routes even though I have no VLANs? Currently I have a Linksys acting as the default gateway for the clients.
Drawing:
Internet--PIX WAN|PIX LAN--Linksys WAN|Linksys LAN
The Linksys and PIX are configured with a 192.168.4.0 network, while the real inside network is 192.168.3.0

Can I enable and configure the routing statements on the 3560, pull the Linksys, put the PIX on the 192.168.3.0 network and continue as usual? Don't I have to configure a port to handle the routing? I suppose I could use one of the open SFP ports.

<<Witty Signature>>

If you only have one LAN subnet, you only need the PIX and set its inside address to be your default gateway.

If you have multiple subnets, you can use the 3560 to route between all these subnets for you.

KiscoKid -
Thanks for the reply. My network is only the 192.168.3.0, but I have to ensure traffic gets to other networks via other routers/modems.
Example: 192.168.51.0 via 192.168.3.101
192.9.100.0 via 192.168.3.102
172.16.31.0 via 192.168.3.1
A couple of these are Cisco routes, but they are not under my control so I can't enter the necessary routing statements there. Hence the layer 3 switch. (I need more ports and a router, so this should do both.)
The configuration has got me a little baffled though.
I enter "ip routing" and add the "ip route" statements for 0.0.0.0 and the others, is there more? Is it necessary to enter "no switchport" and specify an IP (192.168.3.254) on an interface? Do I even need to specify a VLAN? I heard that removing VLAN1 is bad news.
Thanks again
Nick

<<Witty Signature>>

There's nothing stopping you from deploying a flat, single VLAN network and enable the IP routing statements you mention above. This should work for you and achieve what you want.

You should only need to setup L3 VLANs and/or routed ports (no switchport) if you want the switch to be the default gateway for multiple IP subnets. It sounds like from what you've described that you don't need this level of functionality.

As you say, enable IP routing and throw in the necessary static routes and see how you go.

That sounds great. I do want this to be the default gateway (192.168.3.254) for the 192.168.3.0 network. Do I need to specify the ip address on an interface, or the vlan1, where all the ports reside?

<<Witty Signature>>

Yeh just create a single L3 VLAN interface and specify the default gateway address there. Make sure that whichever VLAN ID you go for that all the ports for your users reside in this VLAN as well.

And yes, returning to your previous point, I'd avoid using VLAN 1 for user traffic if at all possible.

I got it!
I have one port set up on the network to the PIX, and the rest of the ports in a VLAN on the inside.
Thanks for the sounding board KiscoKid.
Nick

<<Witty Signature>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back