Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing With Multi NICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSLondon

Technical User
Apr 22, 2002
GB
I have a WIN2K server with NICS (1 for external internet and 1 ech for 2 different subnets) I would like 1 subnet to have full access to the system (both subnets) whilst the other has only access to the internet and machines on its own subnet.

Can this be done via IP filters on RRAS general

Paul

It is really going to depend on your subnetting and subnet masking to make this work. Get a good book on DNS and TCP/IP configuration to start with.

The Internet NIC would only be referred to in your gateway settings on the server. All the workstations will see the server address as their gateway (routing must be enabled on the server for the Internet NIC).

The complex part becomes the subnet masking and the IP ranges you are using. Its been a while since I looked at this in any detail - that is why I asked you to get some good reference books. If memory serves though this is approximately what you need:

I don't believe this will work if your IP ranges are completely different for the two networks. A rough example would be the following:

192.200.100.x with a mask of 255.255.x.x for the machines on the 'master' subnet.

192.200.101.x with a mask of 255.255.255.x for machines on the suborndinate network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back