Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing using 802.1q

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlalonde

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
We have a 3Com Superstack 3 3300 that does not have a layer 3 module. We need to route between two subnets connected to this switch. We also have a Cisco 2610 router that can do 802.1q encapsulation. Can I use 802.1q/VLANS and the 2610 to get packets routing between the two subnets and if so how or do I just have to purchase the layer 3 module for the switch?

For routing vlans using dot1q on the 2610, first of all you ll need to create subinterfaces. Since 2610 has only a 10 mbps ethernet port, i dont think you will be able to create sub interfaces. To verify this, I dont have a 2600 right now with me, but you could definitely give it a try.

And also you will need an IP plus image to run dot1q encapsulation for intervlan routing.

int e0.1
encapsulation dot1q 1
description vlan 1
ip add x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

int e0.2
encapsulation dot1q 2
description vlan 2
ip add z.z.z.z y.y.y.y

int e0
no shutdown
no ip address

Sankar Nair
General Datatech l.p.

put 2 ip addresses, with the following command, on the interface and it will route between the two

<config-int#> ip address 10.10.10.1. 255.255.255.0 secondary

2610 is 10Mbps default.. while ISL can work with this, i doubt 802.1Q can..

u may need to upgrade your ethernet modules first, then install an IOS that can support VLAN trunking.. the minimum is the IOS with IP PLUS featureset..

browse Cisco for more info..

good luck..

Dear All..

I had created different sub interfaces on my 3660 series router and now using different VLANS by DOT1Q encapsulation.

When i ping my switch(trunk port) from router .It gives 1 or 2 % drops out of 1000 pings...How can i resolve this problem..

Regards
Harisudhakar.T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back