Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing table using 9000-9199 or 9200-9399 DID range

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevjb

MIS
Jun 13, 2003
US
Can anyone help on building a routing table for outbound calls when receiving 4-digits on PRI from telco for a block of 200 DID's in the range of 9000 to 9199 or 9200 to 9399. I tried getting a different range (I always request no 0xxx or 9xxx), but this is all they had in this case. System is Norstar MICS with 6.0 s/w.
Also, if I had a DID range of 1xxx, how would I get around the assinged Call park codes of 101-125?

Thanks!

Here is an answer as I have been down this road before.

When the telco sends DID digits, they first build what is known as a "route Index". That tells the CO how you want the digits sent. In the case where your DID numbers conflict with your switch (as in your case) you tell the Telco that you want a route index built for your entire range so that when the digits start with a nine, they should change it to an "8". That way, the outside caller will dial xxx-9123 and the telco will send you 8123 (assuming you have them send 4 digits. You do all of your target line programming around the idea that you will be receiving 8123 and thats all there is. It works perfectly.

Your telco will understand when you tell them that you need a route index built where they change the 9 to an 8.

Good luck.

Harold

on one system I have (T1) I am receiving 7 digits from the telco and ony using the last 3 digits(target lines are only expecting 3 digits received), these are in the same range as other numbers in the dialing plan. since the incoming digits only go to the target lines they do not interfere with other extensions, destinations or dialing codes.

What happens when you actually put in the 9xxx in the received digits?

also I thought that a PRI delivered 7 digits and you were truncating off the first three digits to only use the last 4 so if you increase the length of digits received you could tell the target lines to route nnx9xxx instead of just telling the target line to route 9xxx. You might want to check with the telco and see what they are dropping to you for digits.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

For the Park problem change the park prefix in system programming under access codes.

Question to salo0920's response: Say my DID's are 9000 thru 9199 and I have the carrier send me 8000 thru 8199 instead, as you suggested. Are you saying that the programming would require to change the DN of a target line, such as target line 170, to the correct internal extension DN, such as DN 9123 in your example, then map DID 8123 to this target line? Would this be invisible to the users? - meaning their internal extension is still 9123 and their mailbox number is still 9123 and all outside calls ringing for xxx-9123 still ring on internal DN 9123?

Thanks!

Thats right. The DN is a totally arbitrary number. You can continue to use 9123 as a dn or anything else you might pick. The important part is the Target line received digits which would now be set to 8123 instead of 9123 would have a call appearance on DN9123.

Only you and the phone company would know about the 8123. The user, his/her DN, his/her voicemail box could continue to be based on the 9123

This is the way to go. OF course, the only drawback is that you cannot use 8xxx as DID digits for real or you will never be able to tell them from the 9xxx. This is rarely a problem though.

Boy, I am really seeing this different. I thought that you wanted to get rid of the 9000 series DN's so that you could use your 9 in the routing Destination codes. Why go to the trouble of having Telco translate the 9's to 8's, then you pad them back to nines via target lines?????????????
You are still ending up with the 9000 series DN's that you are trying to avoid. (AM I MIS-UNDERSTANDING YOUR GOAL?)

MarvO said it

Actually, Marv01 is also right. You really have 2 problems. By making your DNs 9xxx you not only cannot use them as received digits but you also cant use them as routing codes but that would be the case even if you had no DIDs.

How would you dial 9xxxx for an outside line?

My solution fixes the DID received digit to routing codes but does not address the DN question.

MarvO is right on this, we go so caught up in talking about received digits forgot what my real problem was and that was dialing out using a "9" access code and still have 9xxx DID's. Sounds like you can't really do it without manually programming around every extension in the routing table, which would be a huge route table!

Regarding salo's solution for the DID received digits, is this even necessary? I think I can still receive 9xxx DID's from telco and map these 9xxx DID's to any target lines (whether they are 9xxx DN's or 8xxx DN's or whatever), right? - I don't see a conflict there at all. The only conflict I see is outbound dial routing when want to use a "9" access code to place outside call...

Kevjb, that's exactly how I see it. There is no reason to mess with your inbound digits. All of that will work fine as is.
Will the site allow an 8 for your access code? What about 99? 5 digit DN length? You're absolutely right, your routing table would not be fun.
Also, take a closer look at the post from jerryreeve on ther 24th.

MarvO said it

What i have also done before is give them a key labeled "LINE OUT" and progammed it with Feature *1 then 8. (8 being the destination code that wouldn't conflict with their DID's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back