Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing Table cannot be altered....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejenk

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2003
US
We have eight computers connecting to VPN using Nortel Contivity. All running W2k Prof and we connect using DSL. One of our computers, laptop, gets disconnected every time another person connects their computer to the network. He gets the error message "The routing table cannot be altered after the Contivity VPN Connection has been established. The Contivity VPN Connection has been Closed."

Thanks! I'll give this a shot and see if it solves the problem.

Well, I checked the computer, and the Routing and Remote Access Service was already disabled, so that wasn't the problem. Any other suggestions?

Are you running version 2.62.33 Nortel client? If not, can you try it and see if it resolves the problem?

No, I'm not running version 2.62.33 Nortel client. Don't have a way to get my hands on it.

You said you are using a Linksys router? If so be aware that Linksys routers are only capable of handling one IPsec tunnel at a time. This was mentioned in the release notes of Nortel's latest server code 4_75.124. You need to select "auto-detect NAT" on the switch to allow the multiple clients to connect.

We're using a Cayman router. 6 of the computers have no problem, but 1 particular computer has the problem. The computer is connected through VPN and anyone comes in and boots up their computer, and the 1 computer's VPN connection disconnects. None of the other computers have this problem, so it seem odd that the router would be the culprit.

Compare the VPN client config on a working computer with the one that isn't working and see if there's a difference. Also, are they all using the same version of the VPN client software?

I fixed it!!! Extranet Client error message: "The routing table cannot be altered after the Conivity VPN connection has been established". I'm using ver 4.60

I had 2 computers both setup the same using Windows 2000 SP3. Only one had the problem. I noticed when using the internet to get my mail (hotmail) or sending mail from my local internet provider I would recieve the error message. Sometimes just browsing the web would do it (search in ebay)

When I ran a route print, the problem computer would change the route table the other would not.

I added the following in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

I added the line: PerformRouterDiscovery DWORD value 0

Then reboot.

I also noticed that just setting the EnableICMPRedirect DWORD to 0 Also works but I think that is over kill. I would only do this if the first solution does not work.

Good luck

Serbastic:
All computers use the same version of VPN client software. The configuration is automatically set up, so should be the same for all computers, but I'll check this. I think this has already been checked though.

I have a WinXP Professional SP1 PC at home and one at work. The one at home gives the routing table cannot be altered problem but the office PC is ok. Both have Nortel Contivity Client v4_60.51 installed. I tried the registry tweak (EnableICMPRedirect and PerformRouterDiscovery) to no avail. Any ideas please?

Do you have a static IP address and DNS address on your connection. Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connection...,Click on Properties for your connection,then TCP/IP properties. I added the following:

Use the following IP address 10.0.0.2
Subnet 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway 10.0.0.1 (this is my router address)

Use the following DNS server address
Preferred DNS server 10.0.0.1

Does your route table change?? You can see this on route print command at the Dos prompt.
Will your computer stay connected when it has no activity (no programs running)?

Imtcyl: I just posted on your new thread.

Don't mean to clutter your thread Rejenk

Our IP addresses are dynamic. The computer will stay connected when it has no activity. The only thing that breaks the connection is when someone comes in and boots up their computer. Again, this is the only computer out of 8 that does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back