Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROUTING PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarchi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
IT
HI all

i have this problem.
SOme users (domain users)whene are outside they want send e-mail @ourdomain.com, but the exchserver (5.5 sp4) send a warning like this "error... relay prohibited....".
"host and client that successfully authenticated" is checked .
For pop3 there are no problems they received the e-mails, but no work when they try to send e-mails, i have try also to set in all manners "my outgoing server require or not require or use the same as the incoming server but nothing...it dos'nt work.Also i try to set the user like this "DOMAIN/USER" but still no work.
THakns to everybody spend some minuts to help me
Max

This feature can be turned on or off in the Exchange Administrators program... Open the Internet Mail Service/go to the routing tab.. The Reroute incomming smpt mail option should be selected/click the Routing restrictions button/"Hosts and clients with these IP addresses should be checked.. If you want POP3 clients to send email uncheck this option... WARNING!!!!! unchecking this option will cause your system to be an open relay (hackers can use your system to send all kinds of messages) your organization will likely be blacklisted from sending to domains using a spam blocking service...

If "Hosts and clients that successfuly authenticate" is already ticked then there should be no need to turn the IMS into an open relay. When the POP3 user connects and authenticates, they should be able to relay SMTP

If you look at the page linked above it states the following:
[tt]"Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 5.5 includes functionality to stop the relaying of spam SMTP messages through a site. The Internet Mail Service can be set to enable the Reroute Incoming SMTP Mail option, and can have the Routing Restrictions specified as Hosts and Clients that successfully authenticate. In this case, the Internet Mail Service will be able to route mail, then the Outlook client MUST authenticate before outbound mail will be sent. Without the client sending either the proper POP3 or IMAP4 authentication commands, the Internet Mail Service will deny delivery in accordance with the Routing Restrictions settings."[/tt]

TO tatti
i have the "Hosts and clients that successfuly authenticate"
and should be enough to avoid spam

to dodgygeezer
thanks i have checked..but it's the same that i have already done, it look me as if the exchserver it's not able to authenticate the user

Hi

I have found that authenticantion works better if your exchange server is a BDC.

Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

hi marius
My exchserv it's already a BDC

thanks
Max

Hi

Check the following setting:

Under your IMS, go to routing.....

check...reroute incoming SMTP...then add your domain in the bottom i.e. yourdomain.com for "sent to" and inbound for "route to".

Give it a try you got nothing to loose at this point.

Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

MArius,
My reroute incoming SMTP it's already configured like you say.
I have also this :
first, i make modem call to the internet provider
second, check wich public ip i get then
i have put this ip under "hosts and client with these ip address".
ok after that it work fine....but the only security for anti-spam it's the suorce public ip address, infact it work without any authentication(Hosts and clients that successfuly authenticate it's already checked, i do'nt think should be a good solution.
what u think?
Thank for you precious help Marius
Max

Have you tried under tools>accounts>account properties>servers> to check the my server requires authentication and then in settings> activate log on using
and put the username and password?

Also in the servers tab check if the settings for pop3 and smtp are correct and in the account name if you have for example only "george" as account name type the full mail address e.g. george@domain.com

good luck
george

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back