Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing packets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarasch

MIS
Feb 16, 2004
US
I am trying to ping computers on the other side of my test network. I cant ping any computer from .11 to .13 networks and vice versa. What is wrong here?
================================================

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 740 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$IkKM$sdCXzoLGkzwH4i0XY1Ox6/
enable password cisco1
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
ip cef
!
ip audit po max-events 100
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.11.2 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 192.168.13.2 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
router rip
network 192.168.11.0
network 192.168.13.0
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip classless
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password cisco2
login
!
!
end

What?
You say you can ping back and forth between the two networks, and before that you say ...what??? What are you trying to do???

Burt

I am just trying separate two networks 11.x and 13.x and be able to communicate between them via this router.

The networks are currently not speaking to each other.

Do you have your devices configured to use 11.2 and 13.2 as their default gateways?

I misread...thought you said you can ping...sorry.

Burt

what devices are attached to the router?

You would have to post the switch configs , the router itself should work the way it is seeing both networks are directly attached .

My guess is still that since this router is new to the environment, the PCs involved probably do not have the router IP addresses set as their default gateways. If that's the case, they will not be able to ping across the router to the other network.

i will second the default gateway scenario..
because these are connected networks.. the rip isn't even coming into play here.

pls confirm that your lan hosts are using the router interface as their default gateway...

Thanks for all your help, but it was a default gateway issue with the client. I fixed that and they are communicating now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back