Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing on multiple subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp2000

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
US
I need to setup a second subnet on my Solaris 8 system. I think I everything figured out except the routing. With a single subnet, I just put the gatway information in /etc/defaultrouter. I'm not sure what to do for a second subnet.

Current subnet
network - 111.222.333.120
netmask - 255.255.255.248
gateway - 111.222.333.121

New subnet
network - 111.222.313.128
netmask - 255.255.255.192
gateway - 111.222.313.129

I know to put:
hostname/IPs in /etc/hosts
network/netmasks in /etc/netmasks

Gateway ?

THNX 4 the help

You can install a secondary NIC Card. Create the file /etc/hostname.<nic card> and enter a node name for the secondary NIC. Edit the local host table and give secondary NIC the IP Address in the new subnet. Edit netmasks for the new subnet. I do this all the time... Works great!!!

I was hoping not to have to add additional hardware. Is there a way to do a virtual adaptor. I can do the ipconfig part OK....just can't figure how to have multiple gateways.

Thought there were some threads that covered what you are trying to do. Could not find them. daFranze should be able to help you.

I also searched the archives.....First

You can configure virtual interfaces as below:

ifconfig <interfacename>:1 plumb <IP address> up

Theoritically, you can configure 256 virtual interfaces to one physical interface.

Configuring the interface isn't the problem...there are 2 wonderfully useful FAQa on the subject in this very forum.

Configuring the separate gateways is the problem. I have 2 separate IP ranges that use separate gateways. .....THAT!!!! is the problem.

I don't think it comes on a Solaris system by default, but you can add multiple gateways for your interfaces in a file called /etc/gateways. I always test my configuration using command line and then add it to the pertinent files later (/etc/gateways, /etc/netmask, /etc/hosts). Unfortunately I am on a Linux box right now, but I believe there is a man page for /etc/gateways.

HTH
-bp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back