Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing Mail Outside Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil8

MIS
Mar 3, 2006
US
Interesting problem.

The old setup had domain_123.com with 20 users and exchange email. Later there was a separation of entities but everyone still used the same server and network. So I had all 20 users under the domain_123.com, 10 users under domain_abc.com and 10 users under domain_xyz.com.

I've moved the domain_xyz.com users to MS Office 365 - still using @domain_xyz.com email addresses. Everything is going great, except they can't get email from people still using the internal exchange server. It routs to the internal exchange mail boxes. I deleted one user mail box and test messages sent from the internal exchange come back Undeliverable. "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to..."

What do I need to change on the 2003 SBS Server to properly route the email?

Thanks!

I unchecked the smtp @domain_xyz.com from the Default policy properties in the Exchange System Manager.

I now get this error from Bigfish on a test email:

<user@domain_xyz.com>: host 216.251.xxx.xx[216.251.xxx.xx] said: 550 5.7.1
Unable to relay for user@domain_xyz.com (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Okay

I removed the whole smtp @domain_xyz.com from the Default Recipient Policies. No change.

I went to forefront hosted exchange and deleted the domain there. No change.

I downloaded IIS 6.0 Tools and checked the IIS Metabase LM > SmtpSvc to find the domain and can't see it.

I restarted SMTP and Microsoft Routing Engine Serves. No change.

Any email sent from the exchange server still resolves the @domain_xyz.com internally.

I think I have this working!!! More testing is needed but the user that was relay bouncing got the last test email.

I did delete the mailboxes and everything associated with this issue seems to have been resolved. I'm working on an Office 365 ProPlus activation issue now. It's weird the first two installations worked fine. The last 5 (on new pcs) keep asking for activation when opening any of the Office desktop applications and errors saying it can't contact the server and throwing a 0x80072EE7 error. So far efforts by myself or Microsoft Technical Support have failed to fix this issue.

It's always something...LOL.

Thanks for helping ShackDaddy.

I moved this group to MS Office 365 E3 Plan and yes, now on several of these brand new machines with clean installs when users open an MS Office Desktop Application it always prompts them to activate by internet (activate by phone is grayed out). Clicking OK throws and error: "We couldn't contact the server. Please try again in a few minutes. (0x80072EE7)". The desktop Office is in grace mode with no key code. The Tech support guy has tried several things, but just yesterday something happened with one of the machines that fully corrupted the Office files and it wouldn't open applications or do a repair. So I tried to reinstall and that gives me an error. Now I have 1 desktop with no MS Office desktop applications and 4 laptops (scattered across the state) that won't activate Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back