Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing between VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcuk

ISP
Dec 15, 2003
GB
I have a Nortel switch with 2 VLANS connected via a trunk link to a Cisco 1700 router. I can't seem to cofigure the router to route between the VLANS.

Config?

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Why dont you send me the configuration on the router, and i will fix it up for you.

Narbik
narbik@earthlink.net

That's the easy way home narbik ;-)
You need to configure sub-inerfaces on your router becouse trunks are configured there.
ISL encapsulation will not work since it's Cisco proprietary hence you need dot1q besides, it will not work on a 1700 series router anyways so.. but you knew that didn't you?
If you can't get it working we'll be heering from you won't we?

Good Luck!

I believe the 1721/1751/1760 will support VLAN routing now. I'm uncertain about any of the other 1700 series routers. It used to be the "smallest" router that would do this was the 2600 series.

Hope this helps.

Chris
CCNA/A+

They do indeed, but not with ISL. The first in line to do that would be the 2620.
If you still didn't get it to work nickcuk, please paste a sample of your config here so we can be of assistance.

Good Luck!

Henk

CCNP/MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back