Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing between 2 networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcallister

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
Hello everyone, I have 2 networks that I'm trying to merge. My telco provider provided me with an always on VPN tunnel between the 2 networks. Network A local IP scheme is 192.168.207.x and VPN tunnel IP is 10.0.1.1. Network B LAN IP scheme is 172.20.98.x with VPN tunnel IP 10.0.2.1. How can I go about routing traffic between these 2 network as easily as possible?

Thanks in advance;

KM

So your Telco provider is providing a VPN tunnel and performing all the routing across the tunnel between these 2 LAN schemes you've mentioned?

If so, all you need to do is point routes on your network device (router) that interfaces with each Telco VPN endpoint. These routes should indicate that to get to the remote subnet, use the LAN address of the local VPN endpoint.

Hope that's clear. If not, drop a note here.

Will try that and let you know if it worked.

Thanks;
KM

Ok this is what I did: on Network A I have a Linksys router with internal IP 192.168.207.7 and a wan ip of 10.0.1.7. I then set a static route for 10.0.1.0. On Network B I have a Linksys with internal IP 172.20.98.7 and a wan IP of 10.0.2.7 with static route 10.0.2.1. From network A I can ping a handful of machine on Network B but I cannot connect to the server using RDP. On Network B I cannot ping anything on Network A. Can you give me some guidance on this matter.

Thanks in advance;

KM

On the Linksys router on network A, I would expect it would need a static route for 172.20.98.0/24 and the next-hop would be via 10.0.1.1.

Similarly on network B, I would expect you need a static route on the linksys for 192.168.207.0/24 with the next-hop being 10.0.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back