Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing based on content

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridge1983

Technical User
Jun 4, 2005
GB
Hi,

Need to design a network with 2 routes out to the internet. One of the internet pipes will only be allowed to take certain types of traffic and also certain types of content. I know there are devices out there that can block traffic of a certain content but not to route it differently over a seperate link. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Now when you say block certain traffic, do you mean port traffic such as pinging or telnet? or are you wanting to block certain topics such as violence gaming etc...?

Not block, but re-route over a different internet connection. I have found a way to do it ports ect but not with topics. So it is topics i am trying to work out

You need a device like "Bluecoat" which is a very sophiscated proxy applicance. It will redirect based on content, it can actually rewrite the HTTP headers, it can either block IM or "reflect" IMs which allow you to login to Yahoo for example, and even send IMs but only to an approved list of users which lets you keep the IM inside the company. And alot more.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back