Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demtro

MIS
Jul 10, 2002
US
Ok First off thanks to everybody who tries to help. Now to the Question.

I have a 3 station network in my house. (1 Server, 2 Workstations.) My Server has 2 network cards in it. One has a static IP the other has a Broadband Cable Modem connection feeding it the internet. This server is also running DNS and DHCP with Active Directories. One of my workstations has 2 network cards in it. One has a broadband cable modem connection feeding it the internet, and the other pulls a DHCP ip from the server. My second workstation has one network card in it pulling a DHCP address from the server. (I user a 10.10.*.* ip structure.)My question is this. I need the DHCP IP's to have internet access. My server can browse the internet no problem. I have everything in the DHCP server setup properly. I was told by somebody i need to setup Routing and Remote Access to allow the Network card with the Static to pull the internet information from the other nic and distribute it to the other computers. I have tried setting up Routing and Remote access using internet connection server and using it as a NAT device. That did not seem to work. I also tried setting it up as a Network Router to route the traffic. This did not seem to work as well unless i am missing a step. Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help.

If you have your server connected to the internet why do you have 2 nics in the workstation?

Make sure that DHCP is setup properly and that it is handing out proper gateway and DNS.

Check on your NAT settings in RRAS. Make sure that the internal adapter is defined.

Personally I wouldn't use NAT and directly connect a server to the internet. Buy yourself a Linksys DSL Router or Netgear router. They are cheap, easy to use and setup, and at least give you a firewall.

ok a little insight into why. 1) I want to keep my internal network traffic and Internet traffic seperate. That is why I have the 2 nics. 2) I work in an IS department and want to gain a little more experience with DHCP and DNS. So i am trying to emulate my work network at home. Just on a smaller scale. this will help me to understand the Network at work a little better and enable me to troubleshoot more effectivly. In DHCP the gateway is the computer giving out the DHCP addresses. I am not quite sure what to set the router portion of DHCP up as. I tried the nic that has an internet IP and the static IP. No success. I am not sure if NAT is what i should use or not. I am asking for help to ask people what setup in Routing and remote access i should use to enable me to issue DHCP ip's to clients and have them browse the internet. I could setup internet connection sharing but that is a presetup dhcp server of sorts and does not enable me to play around with the settings and get more familiar. So please anybody who can offer some help i would appreciate it.

Your gateway address for all your computers should be the internal address of the server your are using to do NAT.

It will be the router for you internet access. If you want it to route other stuff you will have to set up all your routes from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back