Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access Error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Please help!

NT 4.0 SP6

I noticed today that Routing and Remote Access is not working.

In Event Viewer, I noticed 4 errors:

Event 7023
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 7001
The Routing And Remote Access Service service depends on the Remote Access Connection Manager service which failed to start because of the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 20070
Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the module. The specified module could not be found.

Event 20063
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

If I try to start Routing and Remote Access Service, I get the following error:

Could not start the Routing and Remote Access Service on \\servername.
Error 1068:" The dependency service or group failed to start.

I tried reinstalling RAS, Service Pack, NetBios, and the modem but no luck.

I think this happened after I updated MS Security updates....

Thanks for your help!

hi, i uninstalled hotfix 823803, restarted my nt server, and reinstalled RAS and applied the sp6a, but when i dial-up to connect to internet my server freezes

anybody can help please!!

TeMolesto

also i notticed that the dhcp client service is not started, dont know if thats the reason, and if it is how can i start it, is propts "error 2140: an internal error windows nt error ocurred"

TeMolesto

Might DGODT or someone else be kind enough to mail the PSS provided hotfix to the patch to me at garymcdonnell@hotmail.com? I have to fix this issue today and I'm already so far behind on things that a call to PSS will be the straw that broke the camel's back schedule-wise.

Many thanks in advance!

Another request for the untested fix DGODT. Unable to get through to PSS at all. Contact me through kevine@dccnet.com

Very much TIA.

Can anybody please share that RAS hotfix with me too?
Your help will be highly appreicated.
Thanks,
Archie.

Please email it to cool_archie@hotmail.com

I updated the server with the latest patch and everything is running except when someone dials into RAS, they get an protocol error. Then the server reboots itself and once it reboots, it is running 100% CPU. Any suggestions?

DGODT can you help me please?
Please mail me the RAS patch you received
from Microsoft, nobody is helping me here.
I hope you will help me.
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Archie cool_archie@hotmail.com

Arkiontech scan your server for the blaster virus.

I was looking at the MS web site and it appears that they re-issued the 823803 patch with the RAS fix in it. Has anyone tried this?

Arkiontech it is not a virus. It's a trojan...
It is wise to suspect this because it consistent with the sympton (Reboot cycle, 100% CPU usage)

Problem is... the variances keep popping up as fast as it's infections.

Use this as guide.

It attacks DCOM related ports. So those of you who had close the ports will be immune to it.

Good Luck.

WARNING ABOUT INSTALLING PATCH ON OLD MACHINES..

There's a limitation inherent in old machine that makes them can not scale the size of the system partition very well.

This cause the boot.ini somehow placed 'outside' the system partition when patch are applied or defragmentation is done. Resulting machine to spit out error about ntoskrnl.exe being corrupted and create a new Boot.ini along with an Windows NT (default) option on the boot menu.

There are already users suffering from this. You can find the thread in this forum too...

Good Luck

This HAS to be related to this update from MS. I installed the patch on my Exchange 5.5 server and now my remote clients cannot connect using outlook. The LMHOSTS file is all correct, everything worked until I applied the patch. I uninstalled it and no change. Should I re apply Exchange SP 3 and WinNT sP6a?

Thanks
Clint

Cobronco69,
If your client e-mail users are running Outlook off a DSL or other ISP, its very likely that the ISP has port 135 blocked on their routers. I just got SBC DSL to un-block port 135 and we got our client's outlook to work again.
Call your ISP and find out if they are blocking 135.

regards,
texasitalian

I thought about that, but what has stopped me from calling them is the fact that they cant even connect anymore when they VPN in and then open up Outlook. These problems all started around the time I applied the patch for the MS blast....

Thanks
Clint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back