Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access Error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Please help!

NT 4.0 SP6

I noticed today that Routing and Remote Access is not working.

In Event Viewer, I noticed 4 errors:

Event 7023
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 7001
The Routing And Remote Access Service service depends on the Remote Access Connection Manager service which failed to start because of the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 20070
Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the module. The specified module could not be found.

Event 20063
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

If I try to start Routing and Remote Access Service, I get the following error:

Could not start the Routing and Remote Access Service on \\servername.
Error 1068:" The dependency service or group failed to start.

I tried reinstalling RAS, Service Pack, NetBios, and the modem but no luck.

I think this happened after I updated MS Security updates....

Thanks for your help!

Guys,

thanks for the heads-up on that bloody RAS snafu. was able to fix a similar problem thanks to you guys. You guys rock

Is there a separate patch for correcting the outbound SMTP mail queue issue? I have received the patch from MS and instlled it, fixed the RAS issue, but not the Exchange 5.5 issue.

P.S. If anyone is interested in the MS patch 825501, email me, ben@networkguysva.com, and I will forward it to you.

This forum was a HUGE help on this problem. Thanks!

I uninstalled 823803 and installed 825501. Everything seems to be running fine until I received an error message today:

Your system is running low on virtual memory. Please close some applications. You can then start the system option in the control panel & choose the virtual memory button to create an additional paging file
or to increase the size of your current paging file.

I didn't make any other changes to the server.
Any ideas?

Thanks so much for posting these entries. I encounter the same problems after applying the critical security update from MS. You saved me tons of hours trying to find a way to rebuild things. I restored the kern232.dll from backup and then uninstalled the hotfix. RAS then worked great! Thanks again.

Just a warning:

I was having the same problems with RAS. I uninstalled 823803 via Control Panel and when the machine rebooted I was getting BSOD Stop Error "c000021a" telling me that NET LOGON had caused an unrecoverable error.

I put the drive (it's NTFS) in another machine and replaced kernel32.dll with 3 or 4 different versions and none of them would boot.

I finally had to re-image the disk and re-apply security patches (except 823803) adn now everything is back running (including RAS).

I was only without email for 4 hours or so for what I was anticipating to be a 2 minute reboot before everybody got to the office.

Major problems!!!!

I uninstalled 823803 and 823980 and now my server wont come up and is in an endless reboot cycle.

Lost...???

That's what happened to me that required the re-image even after I replaced the kernel32.dll with the old one.

Is there any way to recover from this without having to reformat the drive and install from scratch???

I was unable to, but someone else might have some sugestions.

I have several versions of kernel32.dll if you want me to email/post them, but in theory the one from SP6 should work.

The one I have on my now functioning system is 378,640 bytes and dated 7/16/2001. RAS is working fine with it.

joepole, can you email me that SP6 version of kernel32.dll (jbevan@moretzsports.com). Thanks!

I am now getting the following error when trying to dial in:

“Dial up networking could not negotiate a compatible set of network protocols you specified in the server type settings. Check network configuration and control panel then try again.”

I am still getting the "out of virtual memory" message.

I did not replace kernel32.dll. Can someone email that to me? jannycha@comcast.net

Still trying to avoid reformatting and installing from scratch here. I did an NT repair, but am still caught in a reboot loop. Any ideas?

BIG HUGE GI-NORMOUS THANK YOU about removing the 823980 and 823803 *coff* hotfixes.

I too had also lost RAS but now have it back.

Thanks again!!

I am having major issues! I uninstalled 823803 and installed 825501. Now my CPU is running at 100%! I noticed Exchange is taking up all the CPU... I tried reinstaling NT SP6A, Exchange SP4, and running Exchange Optimizer but didn't help at all. Any ideas?

DGOPT> That fix of yours that you got from Microsoft is now one hot file on the NT4.0 RAS market. =)

I have uninstalled the 823803 patch and RAS came back up.
Unfortunatly the RAS service hangs then someone tries to use it. =(

So I am most kindly asking you DGOPT to send me that "fix for the fix"-file. Please.

send it to erbjudande@involve.com

Hey, can you send me the fix as well. Got an NT 4 box with Exchange 5.5 and RAS is down and ain't coming back up?

I don't know if it will work with exchange.
If you want it, give me a email address.

Uninstaling 823803 fixed my RAS issues also. Many thanks to all. I was curious why this fix was installed on my NT 4.0 Workstation when if you read MS03-29 they infer the path is necessary for NT4.0 Server and NT4.0 Terminal server only. MS03-29 does not mention NT4.0 Workstation.

I am also having a problem on a NT workstation however I cannot get into the system to uninstall the patch. The only thing I can get to is a command prompt. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back