Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access Error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Please help!

NT 4.0 SP6

I noticed today that Routing and Remote Access is not working.

In Event Viewer, I noticed 4 errors:

Event 7023
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 7001
The Routing And Remote Access Service service depends on the Remote Access Connection Manager service which failed to start because of the following error:

Event 20070
Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the module. The specified module could not be found.

Event 20063
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

If I try to start Routing and Remote Access Service, I get the following error:

Could not start the Routing and Remote Access Service on \\servername.
Error 1068:" The dependency service or group failed to start.

I tried reinstalling RAS, Service Pack, NetBios, and the modem but no luck.

I think this happened after I updated MS Security updates....

Thanks for your help!

BootSector - Information from MS TechNet regarding the SMTP error you saw when you uninstalled 823803...

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to view the Exchange Server Internet Mail Service properties in the Exchange Server Administrator program, one of the following error messages may be displayed:
Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded.
The error 87 occurred while formatting windows NT error 182.
Microsoft Windows NT ID No 0xc00200b6
-or-

Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded.
Microsoft Windows NT
ID no: 0xc002007e
CAUSE
The error messages in the "Symptoms" section of this article occur if the Mfc42.dll file is missing or corrupted.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, copy the Mfc42.dll file from the Exchange Server CD to the SystemRoot\System32 subfolder of the computer running the Exchange Server Administrator program.
Additional Workaround
Make sure that the Add-ins subfolder is shared.

NOTE: You may need to check all of the drives for the drive that contains the shared folders under this subfolder. The standard shared subfolders in the Exchsrvr folder are: Add-ins, Address, Connect, RES, and Tracking.log.

If the Add-ins subfolder is not shared, share it as follows:
In Windows Explorer, click the Exchsrvr\Add-ins subfolder.
Right-click the subfolder, and then click Sharing.
In the Add-ins Properties dialog box, click Share As. Make sure that the Share name and Comment boxes contain the following information:
Share name: Add-ins

Comment: "Access to EDK objects" (with the quotation marks)

Click Permissions. Make sure that the Access through share permissions dialog box has the following permissions set:
Everyone (which is a global group - with the globe icon) as Read
Exchange Server service account name (individual icon) as Full Control
Local administrators (local group icon) as Full Control

Click OK.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
This permission may be turned off during a service pack update or a reinstallation, which can cause this problem.
MORE INFORMATION
This file can be found in three different locations on the Exchange Server CD:
E:\Server\Setup\Alpha\Mfc42.dll 1,997 KB
E:\Server\Setup\I386\Mfc42.dll 920 KB
E:\Server\Support\Autorun\Reskit\Migrat 988 KB

Make sure that you copy this file from the folder that corresponds to your operating system. Do not use the file that is located in the Migrat folder. Make sure that the correct settings are applied for the Access this System from the Network user right. If you are running Exchange Server on a Windows NT 4.0 system, and if the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\restrictanonymous registry key exists, make sure it is set to 0.

I had the problem as well on my NT4 Exchange 5.5 box. After muddling through TechNet, I uninstalled RAS, reinstalled RAS, and applied SP6. No luck with this. Then I came upon this thread via a Google search (I love Google). I uninstalled Hot fix 823803 and I am back up. I did a Windows update (minus 823803) and Exchange is happy, RAS is happy and I am happy!
Thank you to all.

PLEASE HELP TOO!

Ok Ive got an SBS NT4. exchange 5.5 server.

Removed the offeding update as suggested .... could get dial up ... cool.

Same thing ... no SMTP on exchange 5.5 any more help Questions ... could someone email me a copy of that mfc42.dll as no one has any idea where the disks are for this acient server.

Also what services do I need to stop to copy in that file as its in use?

Cheers
Anthony

Anthony, what is your email address? I have a set of SBS 4.5 CDs and have located the MFC42.dl_ file.

Will

test7875@hotmail.com
Cheers will much appreciated

same problem, same solution: uninstall 823980 and 823803. does MS test this stuff *at all* ??

wgrever - Did you in fact have to replace the mfc42.dll file? Sounds like all you did was uninstall 823803. What were your exact steps to getting Exchange 5.5 working again? I'm not going to do anything until I'm sure we have a reasonable fix! Thanks.

araspa - since you are dealing with Exchange, I would recommend that you stop all your Exchange services prior to copying in the mfc42.dll. You're going to have to stop and restart the machine anyway. Do it off hours this way you don't impact your network users. Let us know what happens!

Well, I thought things were going OK. I have one NT 4.0 server that I uninstalled the 823803 from this morning. RAS came back fine; no errors.
BUT... in a delayed response, my Backup Exec 7 is now bombing out. The Job Engine and Agent Browser services won't start up. Any one else see this yet? How did you resolve it? Thanks.

On the Microsoft Security site under FAQ's for MS03-029, the secret name for Q823803, way at the bottom, there is mention that this "fix" will clobber RAS and suggests that a HOTFIX is available from PSS (Product Support Services HA!). Only problem is when you go to PSS, if you have an OEM server, they won't talk to you. ANyone know where to get the fix to this fix.... arrrrrgh!

I opened a case with Microsoft and they actually talked to me about this. After I uninstalled 823803 RAS came back on reboot. Then I applied a new version of the fix for RAS servers that the MS tech e-mailed me and RAS is working/tested ok. They did tell me that their working on a fix for exchange 5.5.

Where can I find the new version of the fix? My server is now saying it's out of virtual memory and having "weird" issues with Exchange. Thanks.

They haven't posted it yet. Whats your email address? I'll send you the one they sent me.

Thanks DGODT. It's jannycha@comcast.net.

DGODT, please share that RAS hotfix with me too? tims@dcc.state.ar.us

thankee very much!

Y. Doky - "Manager" of Systems

"A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world."

GinaBautista it works !
Replacing the mfc24.dll works...
I know about that after searching in the ms exchange forums.
So glad am off the hook forgot to share it here.
Sorry...

You cannot copy from windows though.
I switch to dos and copy it.

Here's another info. I forward this conversation to the local microsoft representative. They claim they already post a fix. Weird thing is the fix number that fix the bad fix (gosh bet nobody can say this very fast...) is the same as the number of the bad fix ????
Haven't got a chance to follow up.

Gina and for the rest of you who are fortunate enough to join this discussion not to get help... My suggestion is do not install the fix at all unless you really REALLY have to.

Ok What I did to get it working again.....

Recap (SBS NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5)Windowsupdate on Friday the 1st of August 2003 Stuffed pretty much everything (proxy/exchange/RAS....everything)

After reading this Forum I uninstalled 823803. Everything came good......except no one could send mail. Kept on backing up the queue. I stopped and started ALL services ... rebooted a few times....Ran Exchange optimiser a few times and it is working again. I didnt actally repplace the MFC42.DLL file as I have ntfs partitions and the file was always in use. Just before I put in my DOS disk and my NTFSPRO disk it came good.

I feel that something is not quite right.....but 99.98% is almost perfect and never do more than you haev to on an NT4 Exchange 5.5 Box because IF WILL FALL OVER.

Cheers everyone .... great response ... great solutions fast.

If someone could post me that UPDATED fix from MS too it would be appreciated.

Thanks

The fix you require is 825501.

Fix is available, but public Knowledge Base article has not yet been released, contact MS Support for the fix if removing the original security update does not get it working.

Would one of you please forward the updated fix to me also? Thanks
jeff@ferrantecomputer.com

please email me the fix as well for the exchange 5.5
vitaly@denchik.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back