Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access Error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Please help!

NT 4.0 SP6

I noticed today that Routing and Remote Access is not working.

In Event Viewer, I noticed 4 errors:

Event 7023
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 7001
The Routing And Remote Access Service service depends on the Remote Access Connection Manager service which failed to start because of the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event 20070
Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the module. The specified module could not be found.

Event 20063
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

If I try to start Routing and Remote Access Service, I get the following error:

Could not start the Routing and Remote Access Service on \\servername.
Error 1068:" The dependency service or group failed to start.

I tried reinstalling RAS, Service Pack, NetBios, and the modem but no luck.

I think this happened after I updated MS Security updates....

Thanks for your help!

The first thing that i would probably do is re-install the RAS service after having many problems with it in the past. You have done the right thing by re-installing this + the service pack.

After doing a bit of a search, it seems like a dependency problem - i.e. a required service is not starting up in the required time to allow RAS to start.

There is a really excellent util that comes with Seagate info 7.5 that is able to tell you what services a certain service relies upon. It also gives you the ability to manipulate this dependency.

This tool is called:svrdep.exe

Also:

The Dependency Walker tool may be what you need.

Goodluck.

Same problem here
last night i run win update and i installed 2 critical updates and a recomended.

the critical updates were
KB 823803 and KB 819696
the first is a patch about a security flaw that may allow an attacker to make the server stop responding and the second is about direct x

the recomended was the kb 823492

and i m sure that this is what caused the damage
i uninstalled and rebooted the server but nothing. i reinstalled point to point protocol , ras etc still nothing
i hope there is a way out of this cause i dont wanna go through the process of reinstalling everything
Any ideas?

george

Had same RAS problem.
I unstalled 823980 then 823803.

RAS is working again.

I uninstalled 823980 and 823803 and it worked! Thanks alot Wirk.

Yeah, thanks a lot, too. I got to go home last night after finding your post. I upgraded 2 NT servers with "Critical" updates. RAS crapped out on one, but not on the other. It recovered after removing the ..80 and..03 updates.

"Trustworthy Computing", there's the ticket!

You don't need to uninstall 823980. I've found only uninstalling 823803 fixes the problem, and I can still have 823980 installed.

Cheers,
Jules.

Upon uninstalling 823803, the issue remains unresolved for me.
Since then, I've reinstalled SP6a, ran all updates excluding this one, removed & reinstalled RAS and PPTP, but issue remains.
Simply uninstalling this patch does not appear to resolve issue for everyone.
I'll continue to research issue further and if I find a resolution, I'll post it here for others who may be in same boat as me.

thanks.

OK, folks. It's all about the version of the kerne32.dll which has been updated by this patch.
The reason uninstalling it for me did not work appears to be because of another patch that was applied after uninstalling this 823803 which retained the updated version of kernel32.dll
From what I gather, the way to go about restoring the kernel32.dll back to it's prior version is as follows:
Reinstall the 823803 hotfix and reboot. Next place a copy of the older kernel32.dll in the %systemroot%\uninstallpieceofcrap823803 folder, then uninstall hotfix with c:\winnt\$uninstallQ823803$\hotfix.exe /u
Apparently, sometimes the uninstall does not complete when performed using the Add/Remove utility.

Currently, I'm waiting for users to get the .... off of the server before I can reboot and attempt uninstall (revert to prior kernel).
If anyone has done this already using this method or sees anything wrong with this technique, please let me know ASAP.

thanks again.

I found a lot of similar issues after applying the security patch MS03-029, so I understand that you also applied this patch. Sorry for the mistake. Please check the version of the file kernel32.dll.You still need to apply the patch I provided

Hot Fix for Microsoft Knowledge Base article number Q825501

Knowledge Base Article
======================
To view the contents of the knowledge base article for this update, visit
directly, or
visit and query the Knowledge base
for the product and the Q number of this update.
If it is the same as below, it means that you have applied MS03-029. You still need to apply the patch I provided.

Date Time Version Size File name
--------------------------------------------------------
08-Jul-2003 13:40 4.0.1381.7224 379,152 Kernel32.dll

I understand that the problem still occurs after you reinstall the RAS service and you have removed the patch. Since you have reinstalled RAS service, you need to reapply the service pack 6a. Please follow the steps below to resolve this issue:

1. Check if the patch MS03-026 is uninstalled completely. The files ole32.dll, RPCrt4.dll and RPCss.exe should be not the same as the following:

Windows NT 4.0 Server:

--------------------------------------------------------------
05-Jul-2003 5:26 4.0.1381.7224 701,200 Ole32.dll
05-Jul-2003 5:26 4.0.1381.7219 345,872 Rpcrt4.dll
05-Jul-2003 5:26 4.0.1381.7224 107,280 Rpcss.exe

Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition:

--------------------------------------------------------------
07-Jul-2003 3:29 4.0.1381.33549 701,712 Ole32.dll
07-Jul-2003 3:29 4.0.1381.33474 345,360 Rpcrt4.dll
07-Jul-2003 3:29 4.0.1381.33549 109,328 Rpcss.exe

1. Reinstall the RAS service.

2. Reinstall the Point to Point Tunneling protocol.

3. Apply the service pack 6a.

Thanks killemngrillem,
your instructions worked for me - I did apply the SP6a beforing finding this web site and reference to the 2 hot fix to remove

summary (repeat from above)
From what I gather, the way to go about restoring the kernel32.dll back to it's prior version is as follows:
Reinstall the 823803 hotfix and reboot. Next place a copy of the older kernel32.dll in the %systemroot%\uninstallpieceofcrap823803 folder, then uninstall hotfix with c:\winnt\$uninstallQ823803$\hotfix.exe /u
thanks

Great. Glad to hear that it worked.
I ran the uninstall string this morning and am still waiting to reboot this evening.
Hopefully, MS will come out with a real fix for this security issue that won't affect our RAS.
Until then...
Thanks for the post.

later,
insecure but stable!

Thanks! It WORKED.

You guys saved my first day back from my vaccations.
The person responisble for handling our servers during my vacation had downloaded and installed the latest "Critical Updates" and boom, no more RAS.

I thought, this will be a long night with reinstalling NT.

But thanks to you people... I am off the hook with just removing the 823803 hotfix.

Thanks again.

I got another problem from this bloody hotfix.
Removing 823803 hotfix did bring the RAS back online.

The thing is on top of my NT machine sits Exchange 5.5
And now my exhange won't send outbound mail.

It spit out this message :

Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded
The specified module coulod not be loaded
Microsoft Windows NT 4
ID No : 0xc002007e

Help ?

I did reintall RAS before I remove 823803 but I haven't reapply any sp.

Greetings by the way.
This is my first post.

Yup, received the same PPTP error after applying 823803. Further, web service is no longer functioning which means my proxy service is down to.

T minus 7 hours before I can reboot.

Doug

Thanx Guys

Your comments helped me resolve the same problem. Unfortunatly I had to also do the extra step of recovering an older version of kernel32.dll.

Just a word of caution if you need to do this step don't use a version of kernel32.dll that is too old or you will break your systems even more.

To be on the safe side I would advise useing the sp6a version. It unzips to a temp file when you run the sp update and you can copy it from there.

I have the same problem, but uninstalling 823980 and 823803, reinstalling RAS and Sp6a doesn't work for me. RAS doesn't work, also, the server service hangs at startup. Server takes 20 minutes or more to boot and then I have to manually start three or four dependent services. Anyone got any ideas?

BootSector - I too have an NT machine with Exchange 5.5 and I have not uninstall the 823803 yet. I'm waiting to hear what happened to you on this. I cannot jeopardize losing email. Hopefully you got an easy fix on how to handle this.
I was able to successfully uninstall 823803 from two other NT machines with RAS. It uninstalled fine from them without issue, but I'm really worried about my Exchange Server.
HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back