Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing all mail to a certain Domain via a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Hi, is there a way to configure an Exchange 5.5 server running on NT4 to route all mail sent to @Company.com through another server that is not part of my domain?

I want to be able to forward all mail addressed to @Company.com from my mail server in the UK (MyCompany.co.uk)through my mail server in the US (MyCompany.Com) which is part of a different domain but still maintain the .co.uk reply addresses?

This is for a temporary fix for a problem I have getting mail to Company.com.

I may have to open relaying on my US server but I may have to do this.

Ta for any help,

Iain

I don't believe so it seems ok. Reverse IP's fine, the MX record has been verified as correct by my ISP. And it only affects one address.

I think it might be a routing issue on their internal servers?

From you mail server your having trouble with

Go to a command prompt

Type: nslookup
Then: set type=mx
Then type: companydomain.com

The resolved IP addy displayed will reflect the one that your bad server is using. Use this IP addy to verify the end pouint to companydomain.com...

Thx for that,

Ran through this a good few times and it is fine. Likewise I can ping & telnet to their mail servers.

I can occassionally get mail through their servers but most the time my server just says Host Unreachable. When my mail hits their servers they say the internet header information is missing but it is presernt in the outbound queue.....?????

I am starting to think a job in accounts is quite attractive I REALLY need help!!!!!!!

Perhaps I'm taking too simplistic a viewpoint, so please don't flame me if so. ;o)

If you go to the properties of your Internet Mail Service you will see a button for Email Domain...

This takes you to a list of email domains that you DO NOT want to rely on DNS for.

If you add the domain and specify the IP then all mail you send to @blah.com will be sent directly to the relay specified.

All this really does is take DNS out of the picture.

Remember that your North American server will use DNS to get back to the UK until you specify it there too. But you didn't clarify that as an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back