Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing 911 calls for a remote 8300

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl8ton

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
Good morning -
I'm really confused about this.. this is kind of a newbie-style question, but here goes. I'm trying to prove to TPTB that 911 calls are routing to the local emergency centers for our remote 8300's that are linked to our main 8700. I see route patterns that are associated with their CO trunk groups. But I can't figure out how the system knows that station XXXX in Milwaukee is actually IN Milwaukee. ??
Help!

Carla

I think an IP phone knows the location based on the ip address of the phone, which is reflected in the ip-network-map, which assigns the ip-network-region, which assigns the location, which determines which routing pattern the phone will use.

OOOOPS.. forgot to mention, these are digital phone sets. We don't use the ip phones. They are plugged into a digital card that is local to the 8300 system - but of course, the extension looks local on the 8700.

I think then the gateway the phone is hooked up to is assigned to a ip-network-region which assigns the location.

The dialplan is based on the ARS Locations rules.
Initial Locations are definved via Ch locations.
Then ARS follows specific to ch ars ana location xx.

OK.. still vague on this. The locations table in our 8700 contains the 8300 locations and area codes. There is nothing specific programmed in the ars analysis tables by location.. ?? If I list out the ars analysis table for ALL locations, under 911, it says to use route pattern 6. Route pattern 6 only shows group #11, which is a local trunk to the 8700. I can't seem to tie together the route patterns that are specific to the remote 8300 trunk groups and 911. ??
Sorry to be dense here.

Cl8Ton,

There should be a location ARS table for a remote S8300. This is made for 2 reasons. One reason is to have a unique ARS route for each location as well as LSP ARS parameters.
The remote S8300 will have a location number in the 8700.
Then do a list ars ana location XX. If there is nothing there, then you will need to setup a 911 route for that 8300 going out on those 8300 co trunks.
hope this makes sense.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. I had a bad feeling that the 911 was not setup right in the system. The alert button would go off at the attendant console - but when the remote site was contacted, no emergency personnel ever showed up. (it was a mistake. No emergency at the time.) The 8300's DO have unique location numbers, but that seems to be as far as it goes. If anyone knows the location of the documentation that covers this setup, I'd be grateful.
Thank you everyone for your response.

cl8ton,

It's pretty easy. Find the location of the 8300 via "
change locations"

Create a new ARS route for those local CO trunks at the s8300

Then ch ars ana location XX 911
point that to the route you created.

OK, here's the weird part.. I had the user in Milwaukee dial 911 (yes. the operator was not too happy with her) and did a list trace at the same time. The system checked ARS and selected the correct route-pattern and trunk group.
13:32:54 active station 2087 cid 0x32b5

13:33:02 dial 911# route:ARS

13:33:02 term trunk-group 4 cid 0x32b5

13:33:03 dial 911# route:ARS

13:33:03 route-pattern 50 preference 1 cid 0x32b5

13:33:03 seize trunk-group 4 member 8 cid 0x32b5

I'm still not clear on how it selects the correct route without anything in that location's ARS routing table, but it does. ??

is trunk group 4 at your 8700 location?
if so, then since you don't have a location ars route, then it will default globally unless otherwise specified.

Trunk group 4 is the local CO trunk at our Milwaukee location...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back