Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSEstudent

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
I want to set up a network at my house sharing cable modem. But I don't know what to look for in a router.
I want something that would let me use the same IP address. If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you.

By far the simplest is to get a Linksys cable modem router.

Setup is trivial and you can have as many PCs as you like sharing the Internet connection

Hi, MCSEstudent. You can share your cable modem access (only one valid IP address) using NAT. For example, if you have a valid IP address 200.199.60.1. Connect ethernet interface of your cable modem on LAN ethernet of a NAT server with cross-over cable. Do a point-to-point ip connection between the cable modem (200.199.60.1/30) and the server (200.199.60.2/30). Install a second ethernet card on server with a non-valid IP addresss (192.168.0.1/24) pointing to your home network. Install a software, like WinRouter, that can do a NAT from second ethernet card (192.168.0.1/24) of your server to first ethernet card (200.199.60.2/30).

Sorry my english !

Topoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back