Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router type for project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfrank

MIS
Jan 15, 2004
US
I have a project coming up where I will have a main office that is connected via leased line to 3 other remote locations.

What would be the best router to handle the main office location for the 3 p2p connections?

Also are 2620's still good end point routers?

Thanks,

D

Yes a 2620 would work fine. Is this 3 T1 lines or is it a frame-relay T1 with 3 pvcs?

Yep we will have 3 T1 lines going back to the main location. I noticed the 3600's are not longer on cisco's site. Are their higher end 2600s that are modular so you can add additional T1 cards?

Thanks again,

D

Looks like the 2691 was 3 WICs and a NM port which I believe would support 2WIC, 2WIC 1FE, or 2WIC 2FE. So you could have up to 5 T1s on this setup. Are you using the WIC 1DSU-T1 card or the WIC-1T card? There is also a 4 port or 8 port IMA card that will work in the NM on the cisco 2600 series. This is an ATM Inverse Multiplexer card that will take multiple ATM lines and make one big port for the router. Then you could run ATM pvcs to each location and have room to expand up to 8 T1s or aprox. 12.2 Mb on the mainsite. We are using this setup with aprox. 200 remote sites using frame-relay terminated into a 6 T1s on our IMA port. I also have some phone numbers of companies that we have purchased used cisco gear from. They should have some 3600 series routers and are way cheaper than Cisco.

might want to look at the 3725 or 3745 if you are looking to upgrade the main site to a 3600 style router. 3745/25 are AVVID and will smoke the 2691XMs in every respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back