Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router to router VPN, some questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSaint99

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm new to VPN, but now my company wants to set up a VPN between branch offices. It is supposed to be a router to router VPN. But after reading a lot of articles and whitepapers things are still a bit blurry.

We have all cisco equipement, a 2600 series router and a PIX 515 firewall.
- With a router to router VPN, is there no other software required to use/set up the VPN? (like a Win2k/NT system?)
- I've read that the firewall is supposed to support VPN in order to create a VPN, but when the VPN router is behind the firewall, do I need to configure the firewall to support VPN? And why, won't just open up the port to the router suffice?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.
Regards,

TheSaint

hi

this is my humble opinion :

for a router to router vpn, you don't need additional software... any OS will pass the VPN tunnel (because the routers are setting up the tunnel, encrypt & decrypt, and the client workstations will never know...)

If your router is behind a firewall, then you'll have to define a rule in which you define that
the remote router (the router at the other side of the connection) is allowed to access the local router (behind the firewall), AND only on ports.... (specify ports for VPN here) ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

The clients will not need software, however you will need additional software for the router if you have not purchased the IPSec IOS upgrades. Once the VPN is established it will appear like a normal network connection. Here are a few good links, one for the pix to router, and a few on router to router vpn's. Hope this helps!

Pix to router

Router to Router

Thank you all for replying. It's been very helpfull.

The router in our network is not ours, so probably we have to create a tunnel between our firewall and the router from our branch office.

Thanks again,

TheSaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back