Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router to Router over ethernet cabling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiimike

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2007
US
I'm trying to connect to of my lab routers to each other using cat 5e, do I need a crossover cable to do this?

Yes unless you put a switch / hub between them

Whenever you connect two of the same devices together, router-router switch-switch or PC-PC, you need a crossover cable.

I'm trying to connect to of my lab routers to each other using cat 5e, do I need a crossover cable to do this?"

In general yes.

Many current production routers (especially in the consumer oriented lines) now have auto detection of Tx/Rx. This means that crossover cables are optional for these devices.

Most network devices have LEDs to indicate link status. If you plug them together and a LED comes on you usually have link.

We hook routers and switches together all the time with regular cable. The only time we use crossover is if it's 2 hubs or a router to some weird piece of equipment that specifically requires it (lab machines, some big box from the ISP, etc...) If the routers were purchased within the last 4 or 5 years, I'd be willing to bet they autosense the link and don't need crossover cables.

Unless you are talking about like a Cisco 1600 or 1700 or something like that...but that would take the incoming Frame Relay and send it to a switch for distribution to the network.

*Frame or whatever incoming data protocol you use. We are slowly replacing all our frame circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back