Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router that allows multiple VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Here is the background: I have a Raptor firewall setup in my main office. I have multiple district offices that currently use dialup for internet access. After they get on the Internet, they then use RaptorMobile to setup a VPN to our main office.
Here is the problem: I setup one office with DSL and a Linksys DSL/Cable router (Model: BEFSR41). Now when two people try to access our main office using RaptorMobile, the first person who connects gets disconnected when the 2nd person goes online.

Does anyone know if there is a fix/setup solution that will work on the BEFSR41? If not, does anyone know of a DSL/Cable Router that will allow multiple PCs using RaptorMobile to make a VPN connection.

Thanks to everyone that responds.

We've seen the same problem with RaptorMobile (v. 7.0 on the client and v.6.5 on the server)and the LinkSys BEF-SR41. We also tried the LinkSys BEF-VP41, which supposedly supports up to 70 concurrent VPN tunnels but it didn't work with RaptorMobile. LinkSys has another, more expensive, higher-end model, the BEF-SX41, but we haven't tried it. NetGear also has $150 router that supports multiple VPN tunnels (FVS318) but we haven't tried that one either.

Please respond if you find one that works.

I talked to Linksys Sales this morning and was told that they have Nothing that will support the configuration I need. I did send an EMail into Netopia and got the following reply:
==========================================================
Yes, all R-series routers can support IPSec, PPTP, and ATMP VPN protocols (up to 15 VPN connections).

You also may pass any number of VPN sessions through any R-series router ('VPN pass-through') using NAT, from your Raptor client to your Raptor server.
==========================================================
Have not had a chance yet to do a good look at their routers to see if they will do actually what I need. If I get a chance will check it out and get back. If you have time, check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Guys- I had the same type of problem (different firewall) until an upgrade came out for my firewall.

I have a netopia R9100 and have passed 3 connections through it on top of the router having its own PPTP connection. Could not do that until the firewall was up to date.

Its your linksys box. LinkSys won't support multiple VPN. HOWEVER Dlink will. I bought a Di704p which can connect 4 PC's, and I get VPN on all of them. It also has a printer port so one printer can be used on all 4 PC's. I love it!

I bought it for $29 with a rebate! I know they have ones w/more ports than 5.

Thanks for the information. I talked to our hardware vendor tech support and they wanted me to buy a Symantec firewall appliance for $400. It would have given me a VPN connection between it and our firewall but I was looking more for setting up clients instead.

Did you have any problems setting up the router so it could pass through VPN clients?

Thanks

I think (?) I found a solution. I have got a D-Link DI-604 router. According to their Tech support it will let through multiple VPN clients. I am going to set it up next week and see if it works.

Wish me luck.

I tried to use the DI-604. It is a piece of s***. I got the VPN connections but when I tried to do anything, it would not work. I tried to download EMail from my Exchange server and nothing happened. When I looked at the logs, it said I was getting a Ping of Death. When I called up Tech Support, they informed me that I need to go to Google and search on Ping of Death. IE: There was not a problem with their router. I tried an update to the firmware, it reset my configuration to the default. When I asked tech support about that, I was sent information on how to configure my router. IE: That was normal operations.

I will never recommend this router for a user. It is a pain to setup and if you have to do an upgrade, if your user does not know the original configuration or how to configure, then they are down.

No need to fret about your router, my friend, it's not the problem. We have been testing (and now have in production) a Raptor Firewall and it will not allow multiple connections from a home type router running NAT. We did try their $400 appliance and it seems to work like a charm - the appliance terminates the IPSEC connection at its interface instead of the client pc. You can hang as many PCs off the appliance as you want (I believe up to 254). This seems to be the only solution until Symantec comes up with an upgrade to the firewall.

The problem with this appliance is the $400 price tag. Our field offices are not willing to pay this much for a piece of equipment and the main office wants the field offices to pay.

So I will keep trying.

Thanks anyway.

Finally got what I needed. I am using a Netgear FVS318 router. It can do both VPN (which I have not used yet) and firewall. It also allows multiple VPN client connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back