Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat23

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
US
I don't have access to a Cisco Router and I'm studying for my CCNA. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a router simulator on the web, thanks.

Take a look at.... thread557-31938 don't know if it has the answer that you are looking for but it couldn't hurt. Sorry I can't be of any assistance with this matter, I was lucky enough to have routers at work.....
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Thought about getting a small Cisco router to play with and perhaps write off as education expense? For myself, by the time one pays for the (good) sim software, a few books, etc., you might find that a Cisco 827 is a more fun and more realistic trainer.

Frankly, sims are, ultimately, sims. What they don't throw at you are the oh-so-important little housekeeping details of router life. Learning the Cisco Way seems to be as much housekeeping mastery as protocol nuance mastery.

Best
Mike

Thanks everyone, I found both of these sugestions quite helpful.

I bought the router simulator from Sybex (ISBN 0-7821-2728-2). You can buy it from . It is the best router simulator that I found on the market. I tried a few of them.
Unfortunately this is only good for CCNA exam. To get trained for real world situations this one is not relly usefull.
I ended up buying cisco 1600s from ebay.com . If you have the time you can hunt down one of those for around $200. There are other that also run IOS and are even cheaper than that.

The 1600s are a bargin.. 1601 and 1602.. you can run the 56K CSU/DSU back to back and get knowledge about working with the WIC style of port. Keep in mind the 1600s are EOL now.. should get cheaper in the coming months as more get pulled and replaced with the 1720-50 series which is the official replacement.

MikeS

PS-- the fastether on the 1700 wont do trunking... bummer.. still need that 2600 series or 4500 "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Try vmware.com it's a beta but it's better than any other simulator i've tried so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back