Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Settings for Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosremark

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I am trying to connect an outside client to his desktop in the office using XP Pro. I think my router may be filtering any remote management, but I not sure if that means management of the Router or the host PC. Also do I have to set up a VPN, as for now I do not have a VPN server and need to get this client connected ASAP. The client is using a cable connection through a router, and my company is using a DSL connection with a router. I don't know if I need to set the clients connection to the WAN address of our router or to the hosts IP given by the DHCP server. As you can tell this is the first time I've had to setup a host connection.

Thanks for any help

Microsoft RDP with Windows XP uses the same port as Terminal Services. Assuming that the computer that you are trying to connect to is part of a network that has a Static IP address, then adding the appropriate access to your firewall is pretty easy.

The port that you want is 3389. On your firewall, set port 3389 to forward to the LAN address of the computer that you want to connect to. (For added security, you may want to change the WAN port to something other than 3389, say 3348 or something like that)

So, make sure that you have configured the machine that you are trying to connect to to accept remote desktop connections, and that you have given the appropriate logon names access. Now, get the IP address of the machine and head to your firewall (most likely connect to it via web)

On your firewall, you should have an area for port forwarding. Enable port 3389 to be forwarded to the IP address of the above machine.

Now on your home computer, open up the RDP client and put in the IP address of your firewall, and you should be good to go.

That's pretty much it.

Thanks for the advice, both IP's are dynamic through a DHCP so this may not work. I tried the setup you suggested and I have a couple questions; In the Fowarding section for the router are the ports 3389 TO 3389 supposed to match or can they be different corresponding to each machine - 3348 TO 3389? The IP's also have to have matching addresses right? I can't get a 196.168.24.10 to connect with a 10.0.23.123 right?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back