Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router problem - DNS resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgicash

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
The problem that I am having is that I cannont browse the campus network by using computer name, however I can do it by ip address. At first this seems like a simple DNS issue, but I think it is more complex: Here is the situation:

I have a Dlink DI-704P router. I have three computers networked behind the router. All three are part of a domain. To access the campus network at my school, I setup one of my computers on thier network (DHCP address) and then cloned the mac address to my router. The router picks up all the settings for the network: IP address, 2 DNS Servers, Subnet mask, etc. All the correct settings to access the network are showing up on the router.

All of my three computers behind the router have statically assigned ip addresses. The domain controller for my network is also the dns server, which all of my computers have setup for their dns server statically. The problem began when I wasnt able to connect to the internet. My belief was that since my router was picking up the campus dns servers properly, that all my computers behind my router would be able to access not only other computers on the campus network, but the internet. However the only way I can access the internet is by statically assigning the dns server addresses for the campus network statically to each of my three computers behind the router. This fixes the internet issue however I still cant browse to any other computer on the campus network without using their ip address. The rest of the computers on the campus network are setup in a workgroup. My question is how can i enable my router to see the rest of the computers on the network, and be able to browse to them by computer name. When I go to My Network Places, the only thing i see is my domain. Nothing else is there. 2 of my computers are running Win2k server, 1 is running win xp pro. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. If you need more clarification, just ask. I know it is a lot of info, but it is late, and I am tired.

Thanks a bunch,

mgicash
MCP

It looks like you are almost there!

You say:
"However the only way I can access the internet is by statically assigning the dns server addresses for the campus network statically to each of my three computers behind the router."

This is how it should be have. What you need to do is set the 704p up as a dhcp server and set your clients up to use dhcp. Then all the settings will be set properly including the correct DNS addresses. This is what I do with my 704 and it works perfect.

As far as being able to connect to computers on your network within the workgroup goes, you may not be able to using their names. The 704p has a firewall which may prevent this. Besides you are invisible right now and campus networks are notorious for all kinds of "pranks". Alternatively you could put the computers in the hosts file
of your computer and this should allow you to connect to specific computers to pick up assignments and such.

Good Luck...

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

Thanks alot I will try everything you said!

You can't locate computers on your LAN if you're using NAT on your router, because all the IPs issued by it will resolve to "ThisAddressDoesNotExist" (private IPs). In order to browse your LAN by name, you will need some form of internal name service.

If you set up NetBEUI on each of your internal computers (assuming they're Windows PCs, of course), they will be able to communicate with each other, but, because NetBEUI is not routable, the information will not get out over the internet. Working in conjunction with your existing TCP/IP settings, this should do the trick.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back